I Learned From My Mother

derek.c.chen
I learned from my mother, my great grandfather was a four star general. He was part of the Guo Ming Dong nationalist republican party of China. He retreated with Chiang Kai Shek to Taiwan, and worked side by side with him. This new information about my family changed my view on my family one significant way. I learned that at least some of my family members did succeed in life. My parents do relatively well to put me into such a good community here in Mountain Lakes. I believed that was all I had to do to be successful in life. Unfortunately, such a mediocre goal will no longer satiate my desire to succeed.
To begin with, I now want to do well in school instead of taking it easy, and not trying. My parents did not go to the best schools. Instead, my dad went to the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), and my mom went to Rutgers University. My dad majored in engineering, and my mom majored in accounting. Compared to the accomplishments of my great grandfather who was a four star general, my grandfather who was a captain of an aircraft carrier, and my other grandfather who was a restaurant owner, my parents did not even meet the minimum expectations. Now, my dad works in New York City as a computer engineer, and my mom works for the government as an accountant. I used to believe since my parents are so unsuccessful compared to my ancestors, I would forget even trying to become successful. Learning about my great grandfather’s success made me want to put in all my effort into becoming the best I can be.
My perceptions on my parents did not change, but my perception of my family as a whole changed. I realized that I’m actually not that significant, and since I actually came from a family with such an honorary member, I should make the best of it. Since I found out about my family history, I do have a better understanding of my family. Since my parents had such successful parents, they were sort of easy on themselves, and ended up not meeting the expectation. They did not want me to make the same mistake so they are strict with me, and I can totally comprehend how they worry about how well I do in school. There was no parental paradigm shift for me. It was just inspiring story. Now I know where the expectation lies, and I’m going to try my hardest to meet that requirement. It’s not hard to see that I have the potential to be successful as my great grandfather. I 2just have to actually try to do it. There was a saying at my middle school that said, “Never settle for less than your best.” I did, and now I aim to become better than the best.