I Learned From My Mother...

svandyke13
I learned from my mother how much pain a cactus can cause someone. While at college in New Mexico my mother was on a field mapping trip for her major. Field mapping allows someone to study the geography in an area without getting lost. Because of the area they were studying in there were some very narrow paths. While walking down a narrow path to get to the next site they would stop my mother lost her footing and fell on a cactus. The cactus she landed on was a prickly pear cactus which can have hundreds of thorns on them. She landed on her butt when she fell so all of the thorns ended up getting stuck around her rear end. The group she was with turned out to be mostly boys who had to help get most of the larger thorns out. as one can imagine this had to have been an extremely awkward situation for her. For the rest of the day she had to walk around with the pain of having thorns digging into her. When she got back to her dorm she called my dad, because they were dating at the time, who had to help her get the remaining thorns out for her.
After hearing this story I laughed because I thought it was pretty amusing. This incident didn’t change my perception about my mother at all. The reason i had asked my mother for the story over my father was because he could not think of any good stories he hadn't told me and that didn’t involve parties. Although this was just meant to be a funny story for me to hear I still believe it provides me some insight into what my mothers college life was like because she does not talk about it all that much.