I Learned From My Mom to Never Give Up Without Trying

mwdoquilo
I have always thought that I knew everything about my parents. Specifically I knew about my mother, because we spend time with my extended family on her side often. When I asked her the question about something I didn’t know about her, I was expecting to get a story that I had already heard from her or one of my aunts and uncles. Instead I got a story that I had never heard and never really wondered about until now.
When interviewing my mother, I learned that during college she did not have a definite major and bounced around in different subjects. At the time she was studying nursing at Seattle University, but was not really sure if she liked it. When she decided that she would switch her major, her teacher recommended that she switched into medicine. Her teacher said that she had the grades and the mindset to do it, but she decided not to take the challenge and go with teaching. Now, when she looks back on her decision, she wishes that she could have decided to try medicine and become a doctor. She still enjoys teaching, but thinks about how it might have been better being a doctor. I never knew this about my mother
From hearing this story, I saw my mother in a different way. I never really knew what my mother wanted to do in college; I had just thought that she always wanted to be a teacher. Now that I know that it was hard for her to decide where she would finally end up, I see how closely I am related to her as I find it tough to make decisions also. Before this story I didn’t really know exactly how smart my mother was either. The fact that she could have been a doctor made me think more highly of her. This story has positively changed my views of my mother.
From this story, I learned that it is always better to try something new, than to regret never trying it at all. If you try something you never know what it will turn out to be like, and even if you fail or don’t like it you can always stop and try another new thing. And, just like in my mother’s story, looking back you may regret not trying something new and exciting that you could have done but will never get the chance to again.