I Learned from my Mother...

zwing0216
My mother had the typical American life, growing up in the 1970's and early 1980's. With a nuclear family and a single-family house in the suburbs of Washington DC, she had a fairly average childhood. I've always thought of my mother as a mother, and not a human. A child never really imagines what his/her parents were like when the parents, weren't the parents. It's like they magically appeared out of thin air.
When I talked to my mother I was surprised to learn how interesting her childhood actually was. And while she did not have amazing fantastic stories that transcended my wildest dreams, she did open my eyes to the real experiences she had.
When my mother was young, she would go play with all the neighborhood kids until it got dark, not unlike other children throughout the years. But what she told me next was surprising, a friend of her's was hanging out with two older kids, and were trespassing on land that was not meant to be explored by kids. When the baseball they were throwing fell into the abandoned murky pool, the little boy decided he should be the one to get it. He went into the pool, but never came out. This horrific story not only shocked the community and left the parents of the boy devastated beyond words, but it left within me the realization that my mother does know what she's talking about when she forbids me from doing certain things.
Another story that made my mouth drop open was when another neighborhood boy ran off with her fathers gun collection. Already knowing my grandfather's fondness toward firearms I was not surprised to learn that he had a garage full of arms and ammunition. But when my mother explained to me that when they took a family vacation one day, a boy from a house down the street saw it fit to break into the garage and take all of his guns, then walk down the street carrying them to his house. After a neighbor seeing this sight called my grandparents and informed them of the event that just took place, suburban drama started. No apologies were ever made and the cordial friendship between neighbors deteriorated. It was a strange moment knowing your mother had been through such an odd story.
I don't see my mother as having any life before me, and certainly don't see her as a person who has had experiences such as these. I learned from my mother that everyone, no matter who they are, has had a life in which they lived. And in that life, events have occurred to shape the person to who they are today. I understand my mother and my father a little better and I understand where they are coming from when they make decisions concerning my life better. You think, and see your parents in a certain light, and when they move from that light, it is strange indeed.