STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Learned from my Mother...

zwing0216
My mother had the typical American life, growing up in the 1970's and early 1980's. With a nuclear family and a single-family house in the suburbs of Washington DC, she had a fairly average childhood. I've always thought of my mother as a mother, and not a human. A child never really imagines what his/her parents were like when the parents, weren't the parents. It's like they magically appeared out of thin air.
When I talked to my mother I was surprised to learn how interesting her childhood actually was. And while she did not have amazing fantastic stories that transcended my wildest dreams, she did open my eyes to the real experiences she had.
When my mother was young, she would go play with all the neighborhood kids until it got dark, not unlike other children throughout the years. But what she told me next was surprising, a friend of her's was hanging out with two older kids, and were trespassing on land that was not meant to be explored by kids. When the baseball they were throwing fell into the abandoned murky pool, the little boy decided he should be the one to get it. He went into the pool, but never came out. This horrific story not only shocked the community and left the parents of the boy devastated beyond words, but it left within me the realization that my mother does know what she's talking about when she forbids me from doing certain things.
Another story that made my mouth drop open was when another neighborhood boy ran off with her fathers gun collection. Already knowing my grandfather's fondness toward firearms I was not surprised to learn that he had a garage full of arms and ammunition. But when my mother explained to me that when they took a family vacation one day, a boy from a house down the street saw it fit to break into the garage and take all of his guns, then walk down the street carrying them to his house. After a neighbor seeing this sight called my grandparents and informed them of the event that just took place, suburban drama started. No apologies were ever made and the cordial friendship between neighbors deteriorated. It was a strange moment knowing your mother had been through such an odd story.
I don't see my mother as having any life before me, and certainly don't see her as a person who has had experiences such as these. I learned from my mother that everyone, no matter who they are, has had a life in which they lived. And in that life, events have occurred to shape the person to who they are today. I understand my mother and my father a little better and I understand where they are coming from when they make decisions concerning my life better. You think, and see your parents in a certain light, and when they move from that light, it is strange indeed.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy