STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that hard work is vital.

kmbrlylu
My mother has an oval face as smooth as the moon. It possesses few wrinkles and nearly no imperfections. As I sit, watching her painstakingly sew a loose hem on one of my dresses, I find the courage to ask her one thing I do not know about her. Before the words leave my mouth, I hesitate; my mother and I keep our conversations restricted to education and work. It is a quiet, solid relationship— one built upon mutual reliance and love, but by no means is it affectionate. With my father, the words have always come more readily. We talk about books, politics, and general social media. We are witty, quick, and dismissive. My mother reads very little, cares for no particular political sect, and never touches a magazine or online blog. The medium between the two of us has always been one of silent resilience, yet I feel it change as I find the courage to propose my question. “Mama,” I start, “please tell me something I don’t know about you.” She looks up and puts down her work. Her voice is as smooth as her complexion: unmarred and placid as a river stone. “Do you know why I never taught you to sew?” she asks. I look away, annoyed. As I try to start again, thinking she does not understand, she continues. “You have beautiful hands. I wanted very badly to play the piano when I was younger, to do something with my beautiful hands. My own mother was very poor, so I worked at a sewing factory, mending and sewing.” Her English has a slow lilt to it; she spent her girlhood in China. As she speaks, the image of her native town blooms in my mind. I visited it once, naïve and excited for the chance to travel, yet my dainty eyes were met with imposing buildings and smoggy streets. It did fit to my taste like the image of an untouched, exotic Asian country did.
She does not stop there. After her working experience in the factory, she went to college early on a scholarship. She tried to find employment at the university’s research lab, but no one trusted a woman to conduct any important research, so she was given custodial duty more often than not. Menial tasks, I recall her saying with shame and disappointment. I have never known my mother to be disrespected; in my mind, she has always been the determined, lauded chemist in the high station she worked hard to achieve. Of course, I knew that the success she’s garnered did not come without difficulty, yet I never imagined that she endured so much. Her moving story made many things clear. She has always motivated me to never accept tedious tasks, nor to be anything less than excellent. Her cornerstone has always been hard work, but I see why now. The afternoon we spent chatting was enlightening, but moreover, it made me realize that I should strive for greater things.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy