I learned from my mother that she was very similar to, yet different from, me

girlygirl45
When my mom was a kid, she was a really tough girl. I can tell because even now she does not look like someone that the average person would mess with. In elementary school, there were quite a few mean boys that she had classes with. Some of these boys were so mean that my mom was compelled, at times, to hit them. This is funny and quite a coincidence in that according to stories that my mom told me I had similar experiences when I was in preschool. Back when I was either two or three years old, I, like my mom, was also a tough girl that no one dared to mess with. According to my mom, my preschool teacher told her that I was so tough that even the boys were not as tough as I was. However, time passed and I have changed, not necessarily for the better, though. I am a weak-minded girl now and if I were to be attacked, I would easily lose the fight, but I am hopeful and I have confidence that the tough girl that I used to be, so long ago, is still in me, buried deep.
My mom had an introverted personality. She said that when she was younger, her patience for things was very low and she got upset easily. Her parents treated her really well and, eventually, she became stuck-up like. My mom’s upbringing, she mentions, made her so pushy that she always got what she wanted. She says that she would get bitter often. When I was younger, I was the same way. It seems as if I had the same qualities that my mom had when she was younger and now that I am starting to grow into a young woman, I am starting to be similar, but also different, to my mother, as she is now. My mom tells me that she and I have similar personalities, but that I am more gentle, something that I inherited from my dad.
When my mom was little, one of her uncles would, sometimes, pick her up from school. They would then go to the store and her uncle would buy her a few pieces of candy. According to her, she loved this candy.
My mom also had two sisters. They were not too close, as there are big differences in age between the three. Unlike my brother and I who fool around and have fun together a lot, my mom would play with her group of friends and their clique and her two sisters would do the same, each with a different group of people.
The stories that my mom have told me about her do not at change my perception of her. If anything, they have actually helped me to become closer to her. Now, I understand where she is coming from. No matter what happens, I know that my mom and I are more alike than we are different.