STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that she was very similar to, yet different from, me

girlygirl45
When my mom was a kid, she was a really tough girl. I can tell because even now she does not look like someone that the average person would mess with. In elementary school, there were quite a few mean boys that she had classes with. Some of these boys were so mean that my mom was compelled, at times, to hit them. This is funny and quite a coincidence in that according to stories that my mom told me I had similar experiences when I was in preschool. Back when I was either two or three years old, I, like my mom, was also a tough girl that no one dared to mess with. According to my mom, my preschool teacher told her that I was so tough that even the boys were not as tough as I was. However, time passed and I have changed, not necessarily for the better, though. I am a weak-minded girl now and if I were to be attacked, I would easily lose the fight, but I am hopeful and I have confidence that the tough girl that I used to be, so long ago, is still in me, buried deep.
My mom had an introverted personality. She said that when she was younger, her patience for things was very low and she got upset easily. Her parents treated her really well and, eventually, she became stuck-up like. My mom’s upbringing, she mentions, made her so pushy that she always got what she wanted. She says that she would get bitter often. When I was younger, I was the same way. It seems as if I had the same qualities that my mom had when she was younger and now that I am starting to grow into a young woman, I am starting to be similar, but also different, to my mother, as she is now. My mom tells me that she and I have similar personalities, but that I am more gentle, something that I inherited from my dad.
When my mom was little, one of her uncles would, sometimes, pick her up from school. They would then go to the store and her uncle would buy her a few pieces of candy. According to her, she loved this candy.
My mom also had two sisters. They were not too close, as there are big differences in age between the three. Unlike my brother and I who fool around and have fun together a lot, my mom would play with her group of friends and their clique and her two sisters would do the same, each with a different group of people.
The stories that my mom have told me about her do not at change my perception of her. If anything, they have actually helped me to become closer to her. Now, I understand where she is coming from. No matter what happens, I know that my mom and I are more alike than we are different.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy