I learned from my mother and father their childhood experiences.

spike312
When I asked my parents to tell me something about each of them I didn’t know, they heed and hawed and danced around the question and gave me non-answers and generally no information whatsoever. It took several minutes of pressuring before the pair of them finally each gave me a small nugget of their past.

My mother, apparently, wanted to become a pediatrician. “I wanted to help kids,” she said. “But I thought I wouldn’t be able to do it, academic-wise.” She also cited a desire to become a dancer. I asked her why she didn’t pursue this ambition. “I guess money and time when I was younger. Now, it’s money and time when I’m older.” She still wishes to learn to dance, but needs to get into shape and find the spare time around her family and career to do so.

My father had a very different story to tell. His father died of a stroke when my father was ten. He had precious little time to spend with him, and those memories are the dearest to him. Nevertheless, he never attended his father’s burial. “My mother wouldn’t let me,” he confided. “Because she thought you were too young?” I asked. “Yeah,” he responded.

Asking my parents these questions was an interesting experience. It allowed me to gain greater insight into the lessons they learned and the experiences they had at an early age. Thus, I was able to compare and understand similar thoughts or experiences I had as a child. I was able to communicate effectively, always a challenge when it comes to parent-offspring interaction, a skill that could be better honed through future conversations involving their pasts.

Hi, my name is Megan and I am Stage of Life's PR coordinator. I just wanted to let you know that we featured your article on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609

Thanks and keep up the great writing :)
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 4:52:26 PM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
I thank you hmbuly for sharing your wisdom JJWY
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:40:47 AM