I Learned From My Mother That She Wanted To Be a Singer

J_Nguyen
As teenagers, after living with our parents for over a decade, we think we have them figured out. We believe that we know all there is to know about our parents, but we really don’t because we don’t take the time to sit down to talk to our parents to get to know them. Even I had this belief, until I sat down and really talked to my mother to find out more about her. After talking to my mom, it surprised me to hear that she actually had a dream of becoming a professional singer that, unfortunately, was never fulfilled. Back when my mother lived in Vietnam, she always had a passion for singing. My mother first began singing with her father as a child and she told me that was when her dream of becoming a professional singer formed. She would sing karaoke at any family party that was held at her home. Of course she had to give up this dream after moving to America. My mom told me that singing in English is completely different than singing in Vietnamese. She has a harder time singing in English due to her thick accent. Though her dream of being a professional singer is gone, her passion for singing still burns strong. My mother continues to sing Vietnamese karaoke at every Vietnamese party that we attend. Sitting down and having a long talk with my mom about her dream has actually affected me in a few ways. After hearing about my mother’s dream of becoming a professional singer, my perception of her shifted slightly. Now, every time I see her, I picture her up on stage singing for an audience of thousands. This makes me imagine what my life would be like if she actually pursued her dream. I found this story to be quite interesting because right now she is a cosmetologist in Indiana which has nothing to do with singing whatsoever. This story that my mom told me has also helped me realize why my mom is the way she is towards me. My mother is always pushing me to be the best I can be so that I can one day fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor, instead of having regrets and wondering what could have been. I’m really glad I took the time to sit down and talk to my mom about this dream.