I learned from my mother how to overcome peer pressure.

EDHDthepoet
I honestly was a firm believer that I figured my parents out as a tenth grader figures out the simplicity of addition problems. This theory was bolstered in the case of my father. There is not a day that anything changes in his life. This consistent pattern of living made him the prime subject to accredit my theory. Moreover, I already knew his daily routine, the climax to the same old time story, and the timing of his infamous catch phrase “look out now.” However, I made the observation that I have this adequate knowledge about his life because he is a male. Men are simple creatures. However, the theory does not withstand the trials of my mother who threw more curves at me than the meandering banks of the Mississippi. I asked her, "Can you tell me something that I don't know about you?" Anticipating a simple retort to “let her be”, she replies, “Honestly, I used to be an avid smoker before you got older."
This was such a surprise that I didn’t even entertain such a confession with my interest. However, when going into more precise details I could not doubt the fact that she was an ex-inhaler. An ample amount of American families have at least one smoker; however, we are the exclusions. I credit this to the sudden passing of my grandmother who died of breast cancer in a time where mastectomies were the only available treatment. My mother poorly coped with the loss. Perhaps this is due to the fact that she was only eight years old. So when she experienced the loss, she valued the fine balance of life and death. She forever stresses the importance of maintaining our bodies as temples so that we can extend our lives beyond the average life expectancy. You would think someone with these values would never smoke. So the response begged the question “why?”
“My best friend Cheri did it, so I did it.” That simple response left a lasting imprint on my perception of my mom. She said that she just wanted to fit in and plus it was cool. But the fact that she gave into peer pressure is not what I take from this. She overcame the pressure. Suddenly she remembered those days when she would stare without sparing a blink through photo albums of her mother. Never wanting to leave such a weighty burden on her children, she put down the Newports for good. Timely enough, she was pregnant with my older sister almost a month after quitting. She overcame the pressure so that she could stick to what values guided her through life.
In short, I take the fact that my mom overcame the peer pressure and the physical addiction to the cigarettes as an example for me to stick to my guiding light. The test results are conclusive. Theory is disproven.