I learned from my father that he could have died.

JDomonique
I chose to ask my father to tell me something that I did not know about him because this site challenged me to choose the parent that I believe I have the weaker relationship with. When I asked him this question, i did not expect to be so caught off guard by the response I got. I expected to hear something minor or something that I really didn't care about, but he really surprised me and this is what he said:
Well, I didn't always have my own accounting firm. When we all first moved here from New York, I had a job working at a motel. The only shift that they had available was from 11:00 pm to 8:00 am. The work was easy and it didn't take long for me to become a manager. I really enjoyed being in charge of others. One evening two very scary men busted through the door and threatened me and the woman I was working with that night. One man put a gun to my head while the other made my co-worker open the cash drawer. Thankfully that was all they wanted and they spared our lives.
After hearing him tell this story I was in utter awe. Later I realized that I honestly do not know what I would do with out my dad in my life. He always makes me feel better and puts me in a great mood. He keeps me laghing and I love that about him. I'm so grateful for this specific essay contest because I can really put things into perspective now.