I learned from my mother that anyone can save a life <3

jk3
November 15, 2002. This day was possibly the most dramatic in Kelly’s life. She remembered it vividly, even looking back 8 ½ years later. It was the day that her 3rd and final child was born. It was also the day that she almost died.
It all began while Eddie was still in the womb. His umbilical cord had gotten wrapped around his neck. Despite this disaster, he refused to come out. For hours the doctors considered a C-section but decided against it. Around 7pm Eddie finally pushed his way out. The cord was still wrapped tight around his neck; he did not cry because he could not breathe. Kelly listened for that oh-so familiar whining that new-born babies often pursued, but there was nothing to be heard. Nothing but shouts from the doctors, orders going around. They had a baby to save, after all. Not that Kelly understood that; she was all out confused. All she knew was that she was still in pain. That pain would last well into the next day. The doctors ignored all her complaints.
At 5 or 6am on November 16, Kelly’s moans and groans were finally acknowledged. A cleaning lady who was passing by offered her assistance. She knew that Kelly needed help and called new doctors in. As it turned out, Eddie had torn Kelly open on his departure. She had a hemorrhage and was bleeding quickly. She needed 4 pints worth of blood, half of what the human body holds. If that cleaning lady hadn’t walked by, Kelly may’ve bled to death easily.
To this day, Kelly wishes she would’ve thanked that cleaning lady, simply by sending her a card or anything else. She got the name and address of the lady from the hospital but never got around to sending anything. That lady may never know how important she became to Kelly, though. Kelly would always remember her for her kindness. Sure, she swept floors at a hospital for a living but… she still made a huge difference in Kelly’s life. It was thanks to that one lady’s kindness that Kelly realized that no matter who you are, you can make an impact. No matter what you do, you are very important. It’s a lesson everybody needs to learn at some point. Not only the rich have power. Anybody can save a life.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeenParentalRelationships.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:25:37 PM