I learned from my mom that things are not always as they seem

Meghan_Luebbert
I have always been close with my mom. And I’ve always known she never had the best relationship with her mother. Tonight I learned just how bad things really were. She described to me the true extent of the suffocation she felt in high school. Her mom kept such a strict chokehold on every aspect of her life, she felt as if rebelling was her only way to get a solid breath of air. I learned that she had to experience things, that no girl at her age should ever have to go through. At age 13 she smoked her first cigarette. At 15 she was nearly raped. Age 16 she ended up intoxicated crashed in a ditch late at night. Too afraid of disappointing, harsh punishments, or maybe even a home to stay all together, she was never able to share these experiences with her own mom. She was forced to go through it all alone. There was even a point in time when she was suicidal; she even ended up in the counselors office because someone noticed the cuts. I realize now just how true it is when people say things are not always as they seem. I look in her yearbooks and see a popular cheerleader who had the typical high school experience. What I didn’t see was a confused, hurting teenager that was surrounded by people but still forced to do it all alone.
My mom is one of the strongest people I have ever met. She is driven and passionate, confident and inspiring, talented and smart, and to me she is not only a mother, but also a friend. I realize now how lucky I am to have such a good relationship with her. Tonight her story has taught me three things. One: no matter what mistakes you make in life, there is always a chance to turn things around. Two: everyone should experience failure, but also have someone that cares enough to tell them it was a failure. Three: things are not always as they seem. She is happy. With an amazing husband, three kids, a job and house she loves, and many friends that love her back. She had a hard childhood, harder than I ever knew. In the long run she never let it get in the way of her dreams. I just hope that I can someday become the incredible independent mom she is today. Strong enough to deal with suffocating home like that for 18 years, but still be able to have a good relationship with her mother 20 years later. She truly amazes me.