I Learned from My Mother that She Was a Thief as a Child

ascanameo
My mom is the nicest person I know. She may not always be so nice to me, but she is a saint to everyone she encounters and is adored by all of her peers. It is impossible to imagine her doing anything remotely dissolute. However, my previous notions about the woman who birthed and raised me were shattered when, after a short time of careful contemplation following the proposal of my interview question, she revealed to me that as a child, she was a thief!
My own mother, a dirty, rotten scoundrel who used to take the belongings of those who trusted her most in the secrecy of her alone time. I had been laying on my bed on the evening she disclosed this horrifying information to me and I immediately feigned slumber; I could not bear to look her in the eye. How could someone so sweet, so revered, so morally upright commit crimes so heinous? The silver coins she snatched from her hardworking father’s pockets as his pants lay peacefully in the laundry room steadily filled her little copper piggy bank, tallying how much time she would be destined to spend waiting outside the gates of Heaven. At Halloween, her sister’s candy collection grew smaller and smaller and contained a higher density of licorice, despite—or rather, because of—the fact that my mother’s grew more and more plentiful each day, overflowing with Snickers and lollipops.
Clearly not realizing the weight of this event, my mother tucked my blanket around me, turned off the lights, and left the room. In a feverish frenzy, I sat up, sweating bullets and breathing at an amazing pace. How could I, a child so perfect and innocent, have been raised by a sinner such as my mother? That question possessed my thoughts during the sleepless hours that ensued. When I saw my mother the following morning, I resolved to take action to console my restless mind. I decided that the best action to take would be to ask her to tell me something good about her to counter the sickening news I had received last night. When I did this, I told her that it was the second part of the prompt on which this essay is based as to arouse no suspicion, and she gently reminded me of the year-round fundraiser program she runs at my sisters’ parochial school; it is basically a full-time job for which she receives no pay.
These words comforted me slightly and I was relieved to know that I would probably make it through the day. Though her volunteer work may not be enough to completely discount her childhood offenses, it would help. It was then that I recalled that I had told a lie to obtain this comfort, and I realized, with horror, that I may not be so perfect after all; I may just be the offspring of a criminal.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeenParentalRelationships.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:26:47 PM