I overcame public exams

laulau
The greatest difficulties I overcame this school year are definitely my public exams. I know, I know, so cliché and such…But seriously. I’ve always been under the shadow of my siblings since birth and no doubt suffer from low self-esteem as a result.

As the black sheep of my family, it’s difficult to find comfort in relatives for support or understanding. My mom always claims I’m just putting excess pressure on myself for thinking in such a way, which is probably true, but the fact is I can’t stop comparing myself to my Ivy League-material siblings. Recently, my brother got into 13 med schools, which by the way is beyond genius because getting into one is exceptional. My sister, similarly, merely wrote an essay and applied for an interview and was accepted into one of Cornel’s most prestigious colleges, Industrial Business Relations (only 200 in the nation get accepted).

Anyways, back to the subject: public exams. Honestly, I’m not terrible at school, but I certainly don’t perform well on public exams because as far as SATs go, collegeboard wants to sabotage me with trick questions! I complain because such tests of underhand trick questions do not accurately analyze your intelligence. Well, a critic would simply retort: what about APs? They aren’t designed to trick, ambush, and destroy you; they’re straightforward and plus they have essay questions that help reflect your analytical knowledge.

Sure, sure, APs are fine, but AP exam dates and school start dates are so close together, teachers can’t even teach the subject thoroughly in time to pass at least half of their students! The fact that the AP tests are in the beginning of May is completely illogical because the school year ends in the middle of June! Teachers and students alike complain about the illogical education system, but who cares anyways?! The administration controls everything. We? We’re just tools for their success.

The U.S. public exams are so incredibly flawed that my parents, both graduates from Hong Kong University, the top in Asia, cannot fathom how we’re even learning. The education system is supposed to cater to the needs of the student not to the administration’s advantage, and I must reassert: there will continue to be no success in proposals for education reforms because students and teachers are just tools, while our mouths are just mediums for expression. So, no power? No, we got power. Power under their power.

So since sophomore year, I’ve decided to take 6 AP classes, 5 of which I took exams for. SATI was thankfully accomplished in January. The fact that my U.S. History teachers didn’t finish teaching the material after the 50’s seriously destroyed my chance of getting a high score since the DBJ was about Nixon. I was so devastated that I seriously believed my future and pursuit into a History major was obliterated. My other exams were at least somewhat similarly difficult and right now? Well now, I’m thinking: thank God, my God doesn’t judge me in academics.