I overcame Calculus

auphold
Calculus, the path not widely taken by the typical high school junior, yet I have decided to pursue. I knew the odds were against me to challenge such a high level course yet I refused to let them keep me from succeeding. Ever since elementary school teachers have discouraged me from taking the honors or accelerated math courses and in sixth grade even the counselors strongly advised me to set lower standards for myself encouraging the merit classes provided in my school so I wouldn’t have to struggle. Yet the “struggle” I made in middle school made the person I am today and has only helped me grow as a person and realize my strength I have when I put my mind to something this important. I know I may not need calculus in the major I pursue in but it has definitely had a positive outlook on my capabilities as a student. Along with my self determination I have also realized the importance of encouragement from ones around us. I know calculus would have been extremely difficult without my helpful friends and teacher who never had any doubts in my academic capabilities.