I Overcame Being Irresponsible

kasia_redding
Looking back on this school year, I never thought accepting responsibility would be so difficult. Whoever thought an eleven letter word would have so much effect on my life? Well this year, responsibility crept upon me.
At the beginning of junior year I was pretty much accustomed to high school life. I was finally an upperclassmen! I had the mindset that I could do anything I wanted! I broke curfew and came in when I got ready. I was defiant and completely ignoring my mother’s rules. I turned in school papers and projects late or not at all. And I joked around in basketball practice when I should’ve been preparing for the upcoming game.
One week I was invited to a big birthday dinner with friends and I needed money, so I asked my mom. Before I was finished, she quickly interrupted and said “NO!” Grades were coming out at school and I needed my teachers to do me a favor and cut me some slack on my over-due assignments, but it seemed like they got tired of hearing that line. And after so many bad performances my coach took me out the starting line-up. So it seemed as if everyone was fed up with constant irresponsibility. I was no longer just destructing myself but I was betraying others around me.
This was my wake up call; I betrayed my mother’s trust being disobedient. I got two C’s on my report card, and I was no longer in the starting line-up. It seemed as though my life was falling apart, all because I thought I could do what I want! How was I going to fix this? I got tired of the the disorder, so I decided to challenge myself for a week, try something better, something new, my life felt like a drought, after all what worst could happen? I began coming in a little earlier than curfew, started meeting deadlines for class, and took practice more serious. I kept three sayings in my mind for each obstacle I was going to overcome. For home, “obedience is better than sacrifice”, for school, “you reap what you sow”, and for basketball, “you play how you practice.” Of course my habits didn’t magically change in a week. In fact I backslid a few times, but I was determined.
Eventually change came. My mother began to relent by allowing me to come in at a reasonable time as long as I checked in frequently. I began to turn in papers on time, and my work became quality more so than quick assignment. And my coach recognized my effort and dedication, he allowed me to start again. Yes, it seemed like my life fell back in place. But I took more from the experience, I learned to live by sayings I repeated. Obedience is better than sacrifice. I learned if I didn’t take responsibility for my actions things would get overwhelming. And I learned structure and order is better than disorder and chaos.