I overcame my first break up

schoi94
"A bacteria culture is placed under a strict controlled environment"

My swollen eyes glazed over the words for the seventh time, once again unable to absorb any of the meaning. I took a deep breath and tried again.

"A bacteria culture is placed—"

It was no use. My eyes were already wandering over to the clock by the time I got to the fifth word.

10:32

He was probably boarding the plane right now. I imagined myself spontaneously running out of the classroom and catching a cab to stop him from leaving as I had seen in the movies. "Stop it", I told myself. I wouldn’t allow such dramatic thoughts to cross my mind.

"A bacteria culture is—"

In an attempt to act nonchalantly about his leaving, I had somehow split into two conflicting personalities. One part of me longed to wallow in my self-pity, while the other side demanded that I move on. Stop crying over a petty high school
relationship.

"A bacteria culture—"

But I didn’t want to be here. I wanted to be there, wherever he was. I didn’t want to see or talk to anyone. Tears flooded my eyes and dropped into my open, useless textbook. I remembered the gut-wrenching feeling I got after he closed the door behind him.

"A bacteria—"

But how could I let a breakup interfere with my concentration? When did I become so dependent? I wanted to stop pitying myself. I kept reminding myself that I lived a good life and that if the biggest problem I had was breaking up with my boyfriend, then I had it pretty easy.

"A bacteria culture is placed—"

Of course, it wasn’t that easy. He was the person I always went to when I was upset, hysterical, happy. Now who was I to turn to? He’s on an airplane going to a country halfway across the world. How was I supposed to get through the rest of my high school without him?

"A bacteria culture is placed under—"

What kind of question is that? Of course I could get through high school without him. I don’t need him and I don’t need anyone but myself. I’m only sixteen after all, and there’s no such thing as “true love” in high school. It’s only what we conjure in our minds to make-believe a crush as anything but a transient infatuation.

"A bacteria culture is placed under a strict controlled environment."

I closed my textbook. Then I closed my eyes. A bacteria culture is placed, A bacteria culture is placed… The voices were buried beneath the words to a whisper, and then eventually there was silence. Maybe it’s as simple as that. No need to choose sides, no need to be one or the other. I admit that I do need people, but this doesn’t mean that I’m “needy.” I need to acknowledge my emotions as long as I know that they are helping me grow. Growing pains. These are just growing pains.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:42:49 PM
Comment by kinzie52

you structured this so well! wow!
kudos to you for getting through that.
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:53:37 AM
Comment by sullysolipsism

W-o-w. I love the parallelism between the "bacteria culture" sentence and your thought process. You did a great job portraying your inner turmoil and gradual realization that you need to move on with life. I agree with kinzie51: kudos! :)
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:33:30 AM
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for StageofLife.com. I wanted to personally let you know that your essay is the winner from our May 2011 writing contest.

My PR Coordinator, Megan, will be in touch with you via the email you used to register for Stage of Life. She'll work with you on getting your address for send out the prize package.

Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing your voice on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your viewpoints on the site!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:10:47 PM
Comment by Cokell98

Well done, schoi94!
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:28:54 PM
Comment by foreveRizel

best post on this website :)
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:16:01 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
euoOKk Yeah� I read and I understand that I do not understand anything what it is about:DD
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:24:56 AM
Comment by melissapasta

i really loved the story,it was simple,sweet,and quick:) the message is great too
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:43:02 PM