I overcame my self-consciousness

Cynthiak93
October 2010
Dear Self-consciousness,

You really did it this time. What were you thinking when you made my face grow red in front of a crowd of students? Did it amuse you? Did you enjoy it? I sure hope so. Because this is last time you will ever embarrass me like that. I really gave the Environmental Club members a show with my nervous stance and my trembling hands. How could you be so cruel? They look up to me! I'm their Vice President! All my life, you've been stuck on me like a leech. I've asked you nicely to leave me alone before – like the time I made a speech on the history of 1980's music to my class. You were even there at my Regional Spelling Bee – all the way in the back of the crowd – with your headlights beaming so bright that it almost made me faint. The sad part is that no one was aware that you existed until your evil powers acted upon me.

Cynthia

January 2011
Dear Self- consciousness,

I can't believe it anymore. You still gathered up the courage to stand before me while I read my Shakespearean sonnet to my class? How could you be so strong when your own name is Self-conscious? You really need to meet my friend. His name is Confidence. Actually, you know what? You can meet him next week – during Environmental Awareness Week, where I will be making plenty of speeches during the meetings. It will be an epic week, which is why I invited Confidence. You can come too. I don’t recommend it, but hey, it’s your decision…

Cynthia

April 2011
Dear Self-consciousness,

I heard you met my friend, Confidence. I also heard that you left early. Sorry, I was too busy organizing the events of this hectic week. We had all types of activities: relay races, face-painting, even a scavenger hunt! Did I mention that I organized an Earth Day Festival for my school? I was constantly informing my club members of their responsibilities and duties for the festival during the meetings that I held. I couldn’t even say hello to you! Gosh. I’m sincerely sorry. I rarely had time for anyone, so don’t take it personally.

Love, Cynthia

May 2011
Dearest Self-consciousness,

I haven’t heard from you in a while. I wanted to tell you about my graduation speech. I had never heard a group of people applause so loud. There was whistling too! Apparently my speech was outstanding, according to many parents and teachers. I felt strong this time – so strong that I didn’t even use my paper! I just stood there, before a crowd of people, and spoke from my heart. It was the greatest experience of my life. And honestly, I wanted to thank you. You have had a great impact on my life. You challenged me like no one ever has, and I appreciate that. I will never regret having
you in my life…

Sincerely, Cynthia

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:55:19 PM
Comment by kinzie52

i struggle with self conciousness every.single.day.of.my.life.
It was eye opening to read your essay and see how you mastered it.
Love it!!!
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:05:44 AM
Comment by Cynthiak93

Thanks! Self consciousness is definitely something that I've been struggling with for a while. It's tough, as you know. But it's nice to talk to others who know how I feel about the whole situation - and perhaps how to deal with it. I'm glad you like my essay!
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:19:03 AM
Comment by sullysolipsism

Ha ha! I loved this! Great epistolary writing style. :)
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:28:12 AM
Comment by Cynthiak93

Haha, thank you! :-)
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:46:35 AM
Comment by maralt

Great job Cynthia! So proud of you!!
<3 Maral Tavitian
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 9:03:37 PM