STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame my self-consciousness

Cynthiak93
October 2010
Dear Self-consciousness,

You really did it this time. What were you thinking when you made my face grow red in front of a crowd of students? Did it amuse you? Did you enjoy it? I sure hope so. Because this is last time you will ever embarrass me like that. I really gave the Environmental Club members a show with my nervous stance and my trembling hands. How could you be so cruel? They look up to me! I'm their Vice President! All my life, you've been stuck on me like a leech. I've asked you nicely to leave me alone before – like the time I made a speech on the history of 1980's music to my class. You were even there at my Regional Spelling Bee – all the way in the back of the crowd – with your headlights beaming so bright that it almost made me faint. The sad part is that no one was aware that you existed until your evil powers acted upon me.

Cynthia

January 2011
Dear Self- consciousness,

I can't believe it anymore. You still gathered up the courage to stand before me while I read my Shakespearean sonnet to my class? How could you be so strong when your own name is Self-conscious? You really need to meet my friend. His name is Confidence. Actually, you know what? You can meet him next week – during Environmental Awareness Week, where I will be making plenty of speeches during the meetings. It will be an epic week, which is why I invited Confidence. You can come too. I don’t recommend it, but hey, it’s your decision…

Cynthia

April 2011
Dear Self-consciousness,

I heard you met my friend, Confidence. I also heard that you left early. Sorry, I was too busy organizing the events of this hectic week. We had all types of activities: relay races, face-painting, even a scavenger hunt! Did I mention that I organized an Earth Day Festival for my school? I was constantly informing my club members of their responsibilities and duties for the festival during the meetings that I held. I couldn’t even say hello to you! Gosh. I’m sincerely sorry. I rarely had time for anyone, so don’t take it personally.

Love, Cynthia

May 2011
Dearest Self-consciousness,

I haven’t heard from you in a while. I wanted to tell you about my graduation speech. I had never heard a group of people applause so loud. There was whistling too! Apparently my speech was outstanding, according to many parents and teachers. I felt strong this time – so strong that I didn’t even use my paper! I just stood there, before a crowd of people, and spoke from my heart. It was the greatest experience of my life. And honestly, I wanted to thank you. You have had a great impact on my life. You challenged me like no one ever has, and I appreciate that. I will never regret having
you in my life…

Sincerely, Cynthia
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:55:19 PM
Rate this:
Comment by kinzie52

i struggle with self conciousness every.single.day.of.my.life.
It was eye opening to read your essay and see how you mastered it.
Love it!!!
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:05:44 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Cynthiak93

Thanks! Self consciousness is definitely something that I've been struggling with for a while. It's tough, as you know. But it's nice to talk to others who know how I feel about the whole situation - and perhaps how to deal with it. I'm glad you like my essay!
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:19:03 AM
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Ha ha! I loved this! Great epistolary writing style. :)
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:28:12 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Cynthiak93

Haha, thank you! :-)
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:46:35 AM
Rate this:
Comment by maralt

Great job Cynthia! So proud of you!!
<3 Maral Tavitian
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 9:03:37 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy