I overcame overwhelming peer pressure

pocketfulofpoppies
It’s scary how much a year can change you, your judgment, and your morals.
Before sophomore year, I can assuredly say that I lived in an inflated bubble of blissful innocence. Living in the suburbs where the closest mall is a fifteen minute drive on the endless highway, I didn’t have much experience with the “real world.” Certainly, I didn’t expect the worse in people and especially not from those that I considered my best friends. Some may call it naïve, but I just call it unknowing.
I’d always been so sure of my unwavering morals. My parents ingrained into my head as a child what was right and what was wrong. They emphasized the necessity of ambition, thriftiness, and purity. They scoffed, (and made sure I heard them doing so), at anything involving drugs, alcohol, sex or anything related to what one typically (stereotypically?) associates with the average teen. Most importantly, I believed in what my parents advocated, so I didn’t find it difficult to obey.
Everything was innocent fun in the beginning of the year. A night of hanging out included hoards of giggling gossips in the early hours of the morning. Yet, petty friend drama and fast-spreading rumors caused the ugly morphing of an irreparable friendship between two groups of friends that had once confided in each other unutterable secrets.
Finding myself with a sudden loss of several friends, I became closer than ever with my best friend of eight years. Together, we were nearly inseparable twins. But it wasn’t before long that I learned that she and another friend had smoked pot together the past summer, and neither had told me until December. When I heard about it, I wasn’t sure if I was angry at her blustering lies or her betrayal of what I had believed to be mutually agreed morals. Since I couldn’t choose what reason I should be angry at her for, I decided on both.
I pretended I didn’t care and I donned a face of nonchalance. “Whatever, I’m not going to judge,” I told her. But on the inside, I was reeling. Drugs, alcohol? What? See, I knew they wouldn’t invite me to their parties—they couldn’t. I was Miss Goody-Two-Shoes, but even Miss Goody-Two-Shoes had doubts. What would I do to keep my friends? If there was anything I was scared of, it was being alone.
I thought about it and I made a decision. I wouldn’t touch drugs or alcohol for my friends, even if it meant losing “friends.” It was a tough, but I had stayed true to myself, and that in itself, was everything. I still have two years of high school to finish, but as cliché as this sounds, I’m decked and ready for anything. I know who I am now, and I wouldn’t change it for anything.
So it was with that that I overcame the legendary monster of high school peer pressure. And let me be the first to say that it’s wonderful.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:38:34 PM