STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame Freshmen Year

Keyy
Freshmen year was going to be fun and random. I was sure of it. I smiled ear to ear as I pushed through the solid doors that would lead me into the next four years of my life. I could smell excitement in the air. I quickly found my pack of trusted friends and we fell into place quickly. I held my head high as I marched through the hallways with confidence. The days flew by, almost too quickly for me to keep up with. Slowly, I started to notice the changes in the eyes of my friends. Some were happier. Some were smarter. Some were confused. And then there were the selected few who were brainwashed. This was a bump in the road I hadn’t seen coming. It threw my off track. It was as if another person or thing had entered the body of one of my closet friends. I could tell she was spiraling down and I knew it wouldn’t be a safe landing. I had tried to help her, I really did. Then things got personal. We spit words soaked in venom at each other. The reality of what was happening slapped me in the face harder then her words could. A friendship snapped in half. No amount of band-aids could heal a wound this big. When I thought it couldn’t get any worse, I came to realize that I had only seen the spark and the real fire hadn’t even started yet. People would take sides, armies would form. Hallways would turn into battle grounds. Someone would have to lay down their sword. That someone would be me. I would look in my dirty fingerprinted mirror at a girl I hardly knew. Salty tears would escape my red rimmed eyes. The smile was my favorite disguise and I wore it well. I grew tired and was weighed down with guilt, so I surrendered in silence. I’m okay now. Better than before actually. I smile for real this time, occasionally I even laugh. My wounds are closed, but every once and I while I catch a glimpse of the scars. My freshmen year is over, ending much differently then I imagined. I shake off the past, and stand up. With a wicked grin I wipe the dirt of my skin, only one thought in mind; Bring On Sophomore Year.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:39:03 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy