I Overcame Freshmen Year

Keyy
Freshmen year was going to be fun and random. I was sure of it. I smiled ear to ear as I pushed through the solid doors that would lead me into the next four years of my life. I could smell excitement in the air. I quickly found my pack of trusted friends and we fell into place quickly. I held my head high as I marched through the hallways with confidence. The days flew by, almost too quickly for me to keep up with. Slowly, I started to notice the changes in the eyes of my friends. Some were happier. Some were smarter. Some were confused. And then there were the selected few who were brainwashed. This was a bump in the road I hadn’t seen coming. It threw my off track. It was as if another person or thing had entered the body of one of my closet friends. I could tell she was spiraling down and I knew it wouldn’t be a safe landing. I had tried to help her, I really did. Then things got personal. We spit words soaked in venom at each other. The reality of what was happening slapped me in the face harder then her words could. A friendship snapped in half. No amount of band-aids could heal a wound this big. When I thought it couldn’t get any worse, I came to realize that I had only seen the spark and the real fire hadn’t even started yet. People would take sides, armies would form. Hallways would turn into battle grounds. Someone would have to lay down their sword. That someone would be me. I would look in my dirty fingerprinted mirror at a girl I hardly knew. Salty tears would escape my red rimmed eyes. The smile was my favorite disguise and I wore it well. I grew tired and was weighed down with guilt, so I surrendered in silence. I’m okay now. Better than before actually. I smile for real this time, occasionally I even laugh. My wounds are closed, but every once and I while I catch a glimpse of the scars. My freshmen year is over, ending much differently then I imagined. I shake off the past, and stand up. With a wicked grin I wipe the dirt of my skin, only one thought in mind; Bring On Sophomore Year.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:39:03 PM