I overcame insecurity

Alnebiolini
Ever since my freshman year in high school, I have always had a problem. Not a problem like grades, bullies, or teachers. Those I can handle. What I can’t handle is myself. That sentence probably sounds a little cheesy, but it’s true.
Whenever I met new people, my first thought was making a good impression. I became so preoccupied thinking about my appearance, comparing myself to other people, and trying to fit in. Although it became an unhealthy obsession, I didn’t really notice it or think it was a big deal at the time. I thought that was how everyone acted around others. I only realized I had a problem when I started to hurt other people.
So how does insecurity hurt other people? If you can’t make yourself look any better, you do the next best thing. You bring other people down. I got into the habit of picking on people lower in the social order or making snide comments. This started out small, so even then I didn’t pick up on how mean I was actually being.
Then, one day, a family member called me out on it. I got really angry and ignored the accusation. Later, thinking back on it, I realized that my anger at the comment confirmed my insecurity. It all started to make sense and I could see my problem clearly. Once I had identified my problem, I tried every day to be a little nicer; to not care about what other people thought about me.
While I might not have completely overcome this obstacle, I believe I am getting better. After all, I doubt I would be sharing my insecurity with the world if I was still insecure. Now it’s out in public. And do you know what? I don’t care.