STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame...? Obsession? Or indecision?

jk3
About 24 hours ago, I logged onto stage of life for the first time in… oh… at least a month. Ever since then, I’ve been thinking about this question- what have I overcome? In doing this I began to wonder… have I really accomplished anything yet this year? What challenge have I overcome? HOW HAVE I GROWN? I haven’t gone through any big changes this school year. I haven’t really taken any huge leaps. But I suppose I have done a lot of little things… and little things can add up. I am in the midst of overcoming a lot of things right now. I don’t think there is anything huge I’ve overcome, I realized, but there are a lot of things I’m overcoming.
One of the biggest things is my OCD. I am an obsessive person. A worrier. I spend more time in my mind then in the real world, or at least it seems that way a lot of the time. I waste a lot of time stressing out over stupid things, like whether or not my shoelace is tied the right way. Everyday, though, I learn more and more ways to fight my mental war. Finally finding a therapist that gets me definitely helps. I’ve been through about 4, and at least that many medications. Until recently, I always thought it was my fault my obsessions were not being helped by any of this… but now I know otherwise. I’ve overcome my fear of saying the wrong thing in therapy quite well, and now that is helping me to come closer and closer to showing my OCD whose boss.
Another thing I have overcome is my indecision. My boyfriend would disagree because, well… I’m not so good at picking out movies or ice cream flavors. But as far as big decisions go, like, say, what I want to do with my LIFE, I’m getting there. Ever since I was a kid, people have been asking me what I want to be when I grow up and I’ve always answered that I’m not sure. I’ve been looking into my options a lot though and really trying to decipher myself. Who am I… inside? I’m starting to figure that out. I’m looking into colleges, too I’m involved in about 100 extracurricular activities and I’m a straight A student, so I know my future is bright. I’ve always known that, but bright futures are the most blinding. Still, I’ve overcome my fear of the real world and am on my way to making my biggest choices yet.
My only goal in life is to be happy, and to do that I know I’ll have plenty to overcome in the future. This year has only brought me minute challenges, but I know I won’t always have it easy. I don’t want an easy life anyway; I want to overcome.
Rate this:
Comment by Yggdrasil

I can relate to your uncertainty about overcoming things in high school. All the problems that people said they had or have in high school didn't seem to ever really exist for me. Well, either that or I'm just dense to notice.
I like that you mentioned growing into a better person. People might not exactly change, but they do at least grow into who they want to become.
Sweet essay! :)
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 10:11:24 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy