STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame my disappointment in myself.

SuppiOkashi
This year, as a junior living in California, I chose to test my perseverance and strength with a regular class in addition to four advanced placement (AP) classes, many extra-curricular activities, and especially with track and field.
As a hard-working student, I wanted to do very well this year and for the first two trimesters I was able to survive with straight A’s. Then the spring arrived, meaning track and field was in season. Since freshman year I have been a member of the varsity track and field team, and this year I was determined to qualify for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) preliminaries. Our track season began immediately after President’s week, and from Monday to Friday I would have practice from usually from three o’clock until around five-thirty. I would arrive home at approximately six-fifteen and begin homework at seven or eight o’clock. I would sleep at ten-thirty, only to wake up at two-thirty in the morning to continue my work. Indeed, my amount of sleep each night was reduced to four hours. I would go to school each day tired, on the verge of falling asleep in a couple of my classes, and track would send me home even more fatigued and restless. Nevertheless, I persevered.
May approached quickly, meaning that not only were AP exams going to take place soon, but also Leagues. All of my AP classes were frantically trying to squeeze in the last bits of information and pile practice and review on top. My level of stress rose (as if it wasn’t high enough before), and it was no comfort to know that I was struggling in a couple of my AP classes. Additionally, I was feeling frustrated with myself in track and field because I believed I was doing poorly (though my coach begged to differ). Thus, as my level of stress increased, my level of confidence plummeted.
As the time came I fought my way through the AP exams, and my stress level recovered slightly afterwards. Fortunately in track, I succeeded to League finals and earned the opportunity to qualify for CIF preliminaries in triple jump. The event took place at Poway High, and I was given six jumps to achieve a mark (distance) that would be sufficient to qualify me. That day was not of the greatest as I was inconsistently hitting the board, thus causing my jumps to be scratched or otherwise measured shorter than their actual distances. It eventually narrowed down to the last jump, and I dedicated myself entirely to it. However, as luck would have it, I had scratched by an inch. Poof! My chances of advancing into CIF preliminaries disappeared. Feelings of inadequacy, incompetence, and defeat quickly surfaced; I was truly disappointed in myself.
I came to accept what had happened. I had to move on because I know that I must in order to become better. I may have stumbled here and there during the course of this year, but I will always continue walking.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy