I overcame the fear of growing up.

vianalyn
In the year of 2011 I became an adult. Being the youngest in the family, I feared that turning 18 meant that I would lose the "baby of the family" status that I had been so used to having. Unlike other teenagers, I love this status. I wasn't literally treated like a baby, but just not as an adult. I felt the comfort and love of my family as the youngest, would I lose it once I turn into an adult?
Due to my small voice and petite frame, it seems like I never grew up. Never grew up. If I were to be given the opportunity to go back in time to my childhood and stop time forever, I would do so in a heartbeat. To return to my days as a baby or toddler is like a dream. Those were the days when I had no troubles and my days consisted of eating and playing. No tests to study for, no homework that take all night to do, no projects to do, no responsibilities to handle. Even my sister said I should become a baby again so that she can play with my chubby baby self. However, this sadly is an unattainable dream. Never will I be able to turn back the time.
Then the fated day came, and I became an adult. There was no big party, just simple greetings and a little celebration within my family. What was going to happen now that I was an adult? As everyone nowadays, I opened my Facebook page only to find countless "Happy Birthday!" greetings, but one greeting stood out. My cousin had compiled my baby pictures, including one current picture, and on this collage she states, "Our BABY is now a LADY".
This picture, my cousin's present, made me realize that becoming an adult should be celebrated and not feared. I had watched that cousin, her brother, and my sister become adults, and other than getting jobs, not much has changed in our relationships. They are still there to take care of me if ever I need it, maybe I may never grow up in their eyes.
Moreover, becoming an adult may provide me with more responsibilities but it also provides me with the strength and ability to fulfill them. I have 18 years of experience under my belt, now is the time to see how far that experience will bring me in college and in the future. In the end, I accepted the inevitable event, and as I transfer into my college years in the near future, I know that I will always have my family's love and care.