I Overcame a Traumatic Experience

rAPEL student
It is every teenage boy’s dream to be able to operate a motor vehicle. It had been only a week after I gotten my behind the wheel learner’s permit when I was T-boned at an intersection by a drunk driver. The experience was traumatizing; I was sent to the hospital with critical injuries to vital organs and internal bleeding. The doctors said I was lucky to have survived. They have seen only a few cases in which a person survived an accident with the impact that I taken. It was the beginning of not only a new outlook on life, but a psychological hell.
I was left mentally scarred. There were moments when I thought that I was going to die right then and there. It was this horrible incident that gave the irrational fear of going inside vehicles. It didn’t matter how big it was or how safe it was; if it was a metal box on wheels, I was afraid to go inside. My parents attempted to “fix me” through a series of lectures and some pushing. Eventually, they began coaching me and ran on the principle of taking baby steps. They would drive very slow in secluded parts of the neighborhood and gradually moved on to busy areas like downtown and the freeway. I was very uncomfortable and even felt like throwing up at times. But overtime, I was able to accomplish being comfortable riding in a car again. Fast forward six months, and I would have my license. Another year, and I would be at where I am today.
If I have any advice to those who have troubling times after traumatic experiences, it is this: take baby steps. Once you get comfortable at something, slowly and gradually climb to your goal; it promises the best results.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:58:52 PM