STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame junior year.

pokadotz
When the year started, I was determined to start strong and stay on top of the game. I decided to tackle 4 AP classes and I knew it was going to be hard, but I didn’t fully realize how hard. I underestimated what I was getting myself into and was over confident in my abilities. All the classes I took weren’t even subjects I was fully interested in; I was just taking them because my friends suggested them. Within the first month, I realized what I got myself into. I was staying up till midnight every night and I didn’t understand half the things I was studying. My usual goals were to get straight A’s, but this year I was struggling just to keep B’s.
I knew junior was going to be the toughest year but I wish I knew what I was getting myself into when I signed up for so many hard classes. Not only did I have to keep up my grades but do community service and take the SAT. There were so many things I had to do and all of them were equally important; I couldn’t just leave one and do the other. I was already stressed with school and I knew I had to do well, and my parents weren’t helping. I understood where they were coming from but the pressure was just too much. Every time finals and midterms came around I was always stressed out and overwhelmed; I couldn’t wait till the year would end.
My grades slipped and I struggled to keep up. By this point I stopped even thinking about my dream college, UCLA, but I heard about all my friends getting accepted into so many good schools and I didn’t want to be left behind. When AP testing started, I hardly got out of the house for 2 months. I knew that my junior year was very important and it was my last chance to prove myself. I really worked hard because after it, I was pretty much done with school. Since I have a total of 5 classes and 4 are AP, the rest of the year would just be projects and the hard stuff would be done. I just had to work really hard and stop thinking about free time because I would have the last few months for that. Although I won’t receive my scores for awhile, I hope everything paid off.
If I could’ve, I know I would’ve done things differently but in some ways I’m glad I decided to take on such a big challenge. I learned a lot from this experience and I know that it gave me a preview on how college will be. I wish I fully thought about what I was getting myself into, but junior year is basically over and I did it; I survived. I made it through and although I definitely made some mistakes, I learned from them too.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy