I Overcame the Weight on My Shoulders

vls1994

There is no manual to life; nothing to tell you how to handle a situation or how to make things better. At times, it seems that a situation is bigger than anything you could ever handle. It’s the worst feeling in the world; the feeling of being helpless. It’s difficult to think of that place of bewilderment that is caused by not have a solution to a problem. Sometimes when I’m put in this kind of situation I talk to God, and even though he doesn’t talk back, I always seem to find something within myself that gives me a flicker of light in what seems to be a world of dark. I found myself talking to God more than usual this year.
My family was forced for the eighth time to move by my dad’s job, the Marine Corps. It will be two years this summer since we all left our prospering lives that we had worked so hard to build. It was hard on my family because there was so much that we had to leave behind and as a result everyone was turned a little bitter by the whole ordeal, me especially. I left everything. My friends, my family, my reputation; I felt like it had all been unrightfully stolen from me. Things that I had worked so hard for and held so close to me were discarded and I was forced to stare at a blank canvas, once again, that was to become my life. My attempts to rebuild my life like I had in the past were always undermined by the thoughts of what could have and should have been had I not been forced to start over. When this year, junior year, came around, I was still feeling lost and unsure of what direction to take in my life. The list of problems I had piled up as school, family life and nostalgia for the past all added their weight to my shoulders. There seemed to be no way to fix my problems and even my mother, who always had the capability to fix anything, couldn’t help me.
At the beginning of this school year, I was weak and felt like my legs would give out under the pressure and problems of life. None of the weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I don’t think it ever will be. Instead, I think more weight will be added and I will come across the feeling of helplessness many more times in my life. However, I also believe that this weight is part of what builds us into the people we are and gives us the opportunity to be the people we want to become. I will adapt to this weight and find ways to mature from it. My legs have and will continue to grow stronger so I can carry the weight on my shoulders, no matter how heavy it may become.