I Overcame Toils of Self Esteem

nmorgan12

A personal hardship I have overcome in my life is self image. Especially when entering into high school were a person’s image seems more important than their own personality. Attending an institution were image can either place you on the top or the bottom of the high school “hierarchy” can be very troubling at times. During my freshman year, my constant battle with weight made it very difficult for me to see myself as beautiful. My struggle with self image was only worsened by the occasional persons hurtful comments about my looks usually directed towards my weight. It was because, of my issues with self image that I lacked in self confidence. To compensate I tried to change my image. By dressing and acting different, this resulted in making phony friends. It was those same phony friends that I lost as I started my journey in finding and discovering myself. When trying to conform to today’s image of the average teenager did not work I continued to question myself as to why I was not liked, forcing myself to believe that it had to do with my looks. When in reality it had nothing to do with me, how I looked, or acted but with my surroundings and influences. As the years pass through high school and life I have learned to love myself for me. I have realized that I should not have to change myself for anyone or to be accepted. Occasionally my confidence does waiver. But, before I can let that happen I just recall upon a quote said by one of my most influential role models the actress and comedian Monique “God has made me an awesome person and I deserve to love me”. This motto has taught me to stand tall, and believe in myself at all times. Through these years I have discovered myself, while searching for that confidence that I already obtained. Which has taught me to love me for me and it’s because of my opulent confidence I will become that beautiful women who will make a difference in this world.