I overcame the fear of almost losing the one closest to me.

mkogan17
Throughout everyone’s memorable high school years, teens travel through a vast array of adventures, some good and some bad. And during those quick four years, each teen is confronted with hardships, may it be love, drugs, school, or death. Yet this past year, the biggest challenge that has been thrown at me began the day when I found out my single mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer has always seemed like just another issue present in our world, yet when the disease directly affects you and your loved ones, it has a completely different persona.

From the very day I found out my mom was sick, my world has been flipped upside-down. I have had more responsibilities than ever, and the duties in my household have grown exponentially. Being an only child, everything immediately dropped into my hands, from cooking, to cleaning, to even buying the groceries. Everything was now in my control and it was my obligation to take care of her for the first time in my young life. She has raised me to be who I am today for these past sixteen years, taking care and nurturing me when I needed it the most, and I could now return the favor. But the task was a difficult one at hand, and mixed feelings of fear and worry surrounded me from all sides for the next few months. I had no idea if I was able to help her, because normal sixteen-year-olds still grow up as kids, yet I had to become an adult practically overnight. I was always known as the “boy of the house,” but through her heart-wrenching news, I realized if I wanted to help her I had to become the “man of the house” fast. The fear I felt at the beginning of her diagnosis was too great to be overcome, yet my hope and determination has allowed me to get past all my doubts to truly understand that everything will be okay.

Life has a tendency to throw the unexpected at one, and if that unknown obstacle breaks a person, it defeats the purpose of maintaining a sense of hope and perseverance. Continuously seeing my mom in pain could have driven me to rock-bottom, yet I was able to overcome my sorrows with the constant reminder of hope. I stood up to the challenge at hand and hurdled through all my fears by constantly believing not only in myself, but my mom as well. Looking back, I can now say that I was truly able to overcome the fear of possibly losing the one person closest to me.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:37:37 PM
Comment by kinzie52

I can't Even imagine gaining that much responsibility so quickly. Thanks so much for sharing your story! Good job on fighting fear in he face, it's an amazing testimony.
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:26:13 PM