I overcame five stressful AP classes

jasonyg94
When I first started this school year with a schedule of only AP classes, I expected a challenging year, but that turned out to be a significant understatement. Many of my friends had warned me about what to expect, but nothing could have prepared me for what I was to encounter this year.

The first few days of the year seemed just like any other school year, with teachers discussing the class rules and guidelines. I still had plenty of free time and I still felt fairly optimistic about the year ahead. This feeling of optimism was short-lived. Within a few weeks, I was working on lengthy assignments from all of my classes, and, together, they consumed most of my free time. While I had previously been spending almost eight hours sleeping each night, I was forced to cut my rest time down to five hours on most nights to keep up with the demands of my AP classes. Procrastination also contributed to this problem, as I often could not bring myself to start difficult assignments due to the boredom that would almost certainly follow. After several months of this continuous hard work, I felt rather worn out and unmotivated.

The single most time-consuming and most difficult assignment during the school year was the junior paper. English was never my best subject, so finding out that I needed to write a ten page research paper about a book was certainly an unpleasant experience, and actually writing the paper was considerably more unpleasant. Months of reading, planning, and research were invested into this endeavor, which constituted an entire fifty percent of our second trimester grade. Periodically, small assignments would be collected to ensure that the class was working at a reasonable pace. As a result of this, I spent quite some time at both the school’s library and the local public library researching literary criticism examples to support my essay’s thesis. Despite the added stress of having to meet specific deadlines, this was probably beneficial as there is no doubt some procrastinators like me would attempt to put off such an enormous assignment. Writing the junior paper was a stressful experience, but it was one that will probably benefit me in the future.

Now that AP testing is over, I can look back and see how my hard work and effort has paid off. After such a strenuous year, I felt prepared to confront the national examinations and confident that I could succeed. While this year is not over yet and I still have multiple projects to complete by the time school ends, I can still feel a sense of accomplishment at having made it this far. This school year was by far the most challenging I have faced so far, and I have shown myself what I can accomplish by stepping up to the challenge.