STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame five stressful AP classes

jasonyg94
When I first started this school year with a schedule of only AP classes, I expected a challenging year, but that turned out to be a significant understatement. Many of my friends had warned me about what to expect, but nothing could have prepared me for what I was to encounter this year.

The first few days of the year seemed just like any other school year, with teachers discussing the class rules and guidelines. I still had plenty of free time and I still felt fairly optimistic about the year ahead. This feeling of optimism was short-lived. Within a few weeks, I was working on lengthy assignments from all of my classes, and, together, they consumed most of my free time. While I had previously been spending almost eight hours sleeping each night, I was forced to cut my rest time down to five hours on most nights to keep up with the demands of my AP classes. Procrastination also contributed to this problem, as I often could not bring myself to start difficult assignments due to the boredom that would almost certainly follow. After several months of this continuous hard work, I felt rather worn out and unmotivated.

The single most time-consuming and most difficult assignment during the school year was the junior paper. English was never my best subject, so finding out that I needed to write a ten page research paper about a book was certainly an unpleasant experience, and actually writing the paper was considerably more unpleasant. Months of reading, planning, and research were invested into this endeavor, which constituted an entire fifty percent of our second trimester grade. Periodically, small assignments would be collected to ensure that the class was working at a reasonable pace. As a result of this, I spent quite some time at both the school’s library and the local public library researching literary criticism examples to support my essay’s thesis. Despite the added stress of having to meet specific deadlines, this was probably beneficial as there is no doubt some procrastinators like me would attempt to put off such an enormous assignment. Writing the junior paper was a stressful experience, but it was one that will probably benefit me in the future.

Now that AP testing is over, I can look back and see how my hard work and effort has paid off. After such a strenuous year, I felt prepared to confront the national examinations and confident that I could succeed. While this year is not over yet and I still have multiple projects to complete by the time school ends, I can still feel a sense of accomplishment at having made it this far. This school year was by far the most challenging I have faced so far, and I have shown myself what I can accomplish by stepping up to the challenge.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy