STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame Failure

alexbusse234
When I was little, I remember my dad always telling me "I want you to fail, and I want you to fail miserably. Preferably at something you've always been good at. Because with failure comes a humble lesson of life you will never learn otherwise." Being around six years old, I didn't really understand what that meant. The only thing I had "failed" at at that stage was maybe the spelling bee or a game of tetherball. But when I entered my junior year of high school, that all changed. When I entered Junior year, I thought it would be like all other high school years for me: easy. I didn't ever think that my perfect high school world of good grades, perfect boyfriend, and close-knit friends could all end just like that.
It all began shortly after school started. The seemingly perfect boyfriend-girlfriend relationship I had unexpectedly crashed. It didn't just end, it ended with a huge eruption of like turned hate. A bad break up probably seems like a trivial event that happens to every adolescent, but as my dad once again correctly states, "It's not a big deal until it's happening to you." When all the bridges were burnt from our happy relationship, I felt like I had failed in making it work. I was beat down from the fighting, out casted from the circle of so called friends, and lost the person I had liked for years and got along great with. This was my bitter homecoming to my "new start" in Junior year. For months, I carried around the feeling that I had failed. Terribly. For the person who thought she did everything right, I slowly started to realize that not everything I do can turn out perfect. One night, after yet another battle with my former boyfriend, I felt as if I had broke. My attempts of trying to hold everything together and seem like Junior year was going a long just fine had burst. I felt like a water balloon overfilled with water that exploded open into a pool of water and poorly manufactured elastic. But in the middle of the watershed, I remembered being six years old again. I remembered sitting in my dad's truck in my girl scout vest coming home from camp. I don't remember why I was upset, just that my face felt hot and swollen from crying. That is when I first heard my dad's speech about failure. I remembered what my dad spoke to me about when I was just a little girl. And now, ten years later, I finally understand what my dad was trying to tell me. I now understand that failure is the greatest thing that could have ever happened to me this year. I can't make everything perfect. I can only control what is in my ability to control. And with not succeeding, you find out more about yourself and the special traits you posses that build you back up.
Now I realize that failing at something, whether it be an F on a test or a break up, its not something to let get the best of you. Rather, a chance to discover yourself and who you are as an imperfect human being.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy