I Overcame Failure

alexbusse234
When I was little, I remember my dad always telling me "I want you to fail, and I want you to fail miserably. Preferably at something you've always been good at. Because with failure comes a humble lesson of life you will never learn otherwise." Being around six years old, I didn't really understand what that meant. The only thing I had "failed" at at that stage was maybe the spelling bee or a game of tetherball. But when I entered my junior year of high school, that all changed. When I entered Junior year, I thought it would be like all other high school years for me: easy. I didn't ever think that my perfect high school world of good grades, perfect boyfriend, and close-knit friends could all end just like that.
It all began shortly after school started. The seemingly perfect boyfriend-girlfriend relationship I had unexpectedly crashed. It didn't just end, it ended with a huge eruption of like turned hate. A bad break up probably seems like a trivial event that happens to every adolescent, but as my dad once again correctly states, "It's not a big deal until it's happening to you." When all the bridges were burnt from our happy relationship, I felt like I had failed in making it work. I was beat down from the fighting, out casted from the circle of so called friends, and lost the person I had liked for years and got along great with. This was my bitter homecoming to my "new start" in Junior year. For months, I carried around the feeling that I had failed. Terribly. For the person who thought she did everything right, I slowly started to realize that not everything I do can turn out perfect. One night, after yet another battle with my former boyfriend, I felt as if I had broke. My attempts of trying to hold everything together and seem like Junior year was going a long just fine had burst. I felt like a water balloon overfilled with water that exploded open into a pool of water and poorly manufactured elastic. But in the middle of the watershed, I remembered being six years old again. I remembered sitting in my dad's truck in my girl scout vest coming home from camp. I don't remember why I was upset, just that my face felt hot and swollen from crying. That is when I first heard my dad's speech about failure. I remembered what my dad spoke to me about when I was just a little girl. And now, ten years later, I finally understand what my dad was trying to tell me. I now understand that failure is the greatest thing that could have ever happened to me this year. I can't make everything perfect. I can only control what is in my ability to control. And with not succeeding, you find out more about yourself and the special traits you posses that build you back up.
Now I realize that failing at something, whether it be an F on a test or a break up, its not something to let get the best of you. Rather, a chance to discover yourself and who you are as an imperfect human being.