I Overcame My Fear of Writing the Junior Paper

jetbot33
Since the beginning of my high school career I was frequently warned of the dreaded junior paper I would have to write during my junior year. Friends told me countless "horror" stories of this monstrous 12-page paper that seemed to be merciless to anyone and everyone who attempted to write it. Stories ranged from instant F's being earned despite hard work to social life becoming completely swallowed by the work of the junior paper to even the story of the junior paper being absolutely impossible to accomplish, thus earning many a horrific zero. These terrifying stories, anecdotes, and pieces of advice shrouded my mind for days on end and I became more and more anxious as dates to the beginning of the junior paper came closer and closer. The day when my teacher announced we would begin officially writing the junior paper I could almost feel my skin crawl. For days, I put off assignments, neglected research, decided not to read my junior paper novel, among many things out of cold fear of the junior paper. However, one day I sought the help of my friend David and then internet audio books. David proved to be a useful friend in giving me tips to stay focused on what seemed like an impossible book, directed me to Spark Notes for understanding, and even helped explain some things that I did not understand from my book. The audio books helped a great deal as well. Suddenly, with these audio books, I could follow along my novel more closely and write about it. With David's encouragement and the help of my group in finding research I found ways to accomplish progressively larger and larger tasks involving the junior paper. I soon became more and more independent in myself as time went on and at some point, I realized I could write the junior paper without anymore fears. I saw it not as a blood-chilling fiend of a research paper to write but as a challenging essay project taking more than just a couple of days to write. I persevered in my writing and continued to work independently and soon learned that if I believed in myself, I could accomplish anything, let alone the junior paper. And so with my newfound determination, I worked diligently on my junior paper and finally finished it on the due date, just in time to turn it in. The satisfaction I achieved from completing the junior paper did not come from the grade I received but from the fact that I overcame my fear of the junior paper. The first thing I did after I finished my junior paper was thank David for all his aid and encouragement and then my group for all the support that no other group could have matched. I was a happy man that day, February 9, 2011.