STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame My Fear of Writing the Junior Paper

jetbot33
Since the beginning of my high school career I was frequently warned of the dreaded junior paper I would have to write during my junior year. Friends told me countless "horror" stories of this monstrous 12-page paper that seemed to be merciless to anyone and everyone who attempted to write it. Stories ranged from instant F's being earned despite hard work to social life becoming completely swallowed by the work of the junior paper to even the story of the junior paper being absolutely impossible to accomplish, thus earning many a horrific zero. These terrifying stories, anecdotes, and pieces of advice shrouded my mind for days on end and I became more and more anxious as dates to the beginning of the junior paper came closer and closer. The day when my teacher announced we would begin officially writing the junior paper I could almost feel my skin crawl. For days, I put off assignments, neglected research, decided not to read my junior paper novel, among many things out of cold fear of the junior paper. However, one day I sought the help of my friend David and then internet audio books. David proved to be a useful friend in giving me tips to stay focused on what seemed like an impossible book, directed me to Spark Notes for understanding, and even helped explain some things that I did not understand from my book. The audio books helped a great deal as well. Suddenly, with these audio books, I could follow along my novel more closely and write about it. With David's encouragement and the help of my group in finding research I found ways to accomplish progressively larger and larger tasks involving the junior paper. I soon became more and more independent in myself as time went on and at some point, I realized I could write the junior paper without anymore fears. I saw it not as a blood-chilling fiend of a research paper to write but as a challenging essay project taking more than just a couple of days to write. I persevered in my writing and continued to work independently and soon learned that if I believed in myself, I could accomplish anything, let alone the junior paper. And so with my newfound determination, I worked diligently on my junior paper and finally finished it on the due date, just in time to turn it in. The satisfaction I achieved from completing the junior paper did not come from the grade I received but from the fact that I overcame my fear of the junior paper. The first thing I did after I finished my junior paper was thank David for all his aid and encouragement and then my group for all the support that no other group could have matched. I was a happy man that day, February 9, 2011.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy