I overcame switching groups of friends.

sundevil92129
I can think back and remember when I watched cheesy sitcoms that depicted the over dramatic switch the protagonist makes to another group of friends. I can still remember thinking how the writers must have really over played the intensity of the situation. Well about half way through this year I was forced to change my view regarding that whole predicament, as the same thing happened to me.
For some odd reason I seemed to be one of the few in my group of friends who actually stayed away from drugs, drinking, or even any involvement in it. My entire life I have had an aversion to that sort lifestyle and never expected it to creep so close to me. But it did and deciding what to do in that moment was an arduous process. I liked a good amount of my friends but it seemed as if it got harder and harder for them to have a good time absent of mood altering substances.
As time went on the situation's prominence in my mind progressed. It began to seem like I was the one person who had little to no tolerance for that behavior. What was worse was that my group of friends was a major part of the sport team I was in and leaving them would almost certainly mean leaving the sport. But finally as the pressure peeked when I drove with a less than aware friend, I realized I had had enough. I asked for the driver to pull over and let me out. While my voice was calm and steady, my mind was anything but that. Thoughts of "how will this make me look" and "what will they think of me" raced through my mind, but were overcome by the fear of what could happen if it did not get out. That night I made a decision to cut almost all ties with those people and I went looking for another group.
Lucky for me, an intimate group of friends from one of my extracurricular activities adopted me. I was and still am so grateful for this great group of kids who I now thoroughly rely on.
This did mean I had to leave my sport but I am still happy with the decision I made and am proud I would not trade my integrity for the easy route.
It is ironic that I refer to my old group of so called-friends as friends because they were hardly anything like that, with their lack of concern for my dissatisfaction with their choices. I am glad I made the switch but the decision and execution of it were one of the hardest factors to my school year.