I Overcame Selfishness

rachelllee
Of all the difficulties that, I, as a junior in high school have overcome, this toil was perhaps the worst to defeat. Of all the stress, sleepless nights, and horrid dreams of failure, this was perhaps the vilest experience that I have ever suffered through. Of all the events that had led to mistakes, guilt, and regret this was perhaps poorest mistake I have ever made. This was selfishness.
With my mind wound up in studies and relations with teachers along with the numerous activities to attend, selfishness was the first act of crime that I committed. The tension of entering into decent colleges never allotted me time to give thanks to those who helped me to reach this far into my junior year in high school. Looking back on the very beginning of my school year in 2010, I had never said a kind word to my mother who sacrifices her spare time to drive me to school so that I may sleep an extra thirty minutes every morning instead of taking the bus – a heart moving deed that would have many thankful towards their mothers and yet there I was every morning believing that it was the just thing for her to do. Once, I shrieked at her for not coming to school on time. Certainly, overcoming such self-centeredness and inconsideration of others was painfully difficult for me whom was terribly angered at the world for seemingly making college entrance an excruciating experience for me. The little sacrifices – providing snacks and food during study groups, preparing my lunches, making sure my things were packed – were losses on my parent’s part that were challenging for me to recognize. Unquestionably, I knew that my acts were egotistical; however, I stubbornly believed that my uncouth ways was, indeed, acceptable. I only thought of myself and how my wails of complaint about school were justified. Because of the state of mind I was regrettably in, pushing egocentricity aside was rather demanding, hard to say the least.
As the time rolled by and my self-interest began to become apparent to me I finally gathered the sense to truly apologize for never seeing that others were also suffering. The next time the hideous demon called selfishness comes to turn me into a monster I am always sure to be ready with the thoughts of consideration and thanks towards others. This effort will be a hard one in times of great stress; however the thoughtfulness will be worth more than any reward that comes from selfishness.