I overcame the stress of my dad's deployment.

HollyDays
In November 2010, my dad set sail on the USS Carl Vinson to travel around the world. He has been gone since and we are not exactly sure when he will be able to come home. His deployment has been hard emotionally and financially for my family and me. However, with my family’s strength and support I have been able to overcome the stresses of my dad’s deployment.
My dad’s deployment has been emotionally draining. Within these past few months, I have only spoken to him over the phone about five times. He has missed so much of our lives by not being there, and it is not quite the same to just retell the stories over the phone every few weeks. This is really hard, and I am always close to tears when I hear his voice. It is tough to be apart from a close family member for so long. Nothing is really the same without my dad at home. Thankfully, with the help of facebook, I can keep track of where in the world my dad is, which makes things a little less stressful. My family is also really supportive since we are all going through the same thing with my dad deployed.
My dad’s deployment has been financially trying as well. Before my dad left, he wrote a series of checks dated appropriately for each month and each of our birthdays. This has enough, but some things come up, for example our car needing repairs and our dryer breaking, and it is stressful to always make ends meet. It is also worrisome since we run out of checks after June, hopefully he will be home by then. My mom has stayed strong through this, and it has made things easier for all of us. My dad’s deployment would be much harder to overcome without my mom here to make things seem better. This deployment will hopefully be over soon and our lives can go back to normal, at least for a while. I have been able to overcome the stress of my dad being gone on deployment.