STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame being judgmental

alyssagormaly
Through my high school experience, I have learned and conquered many things through education by my social life, one of them being judgment. High school often comes off as the place where people mature, grow, and rebel. Until my junior year in high school, however, I never personally experienced much rebellion. It was through the people that I met my junior year that I learned about the behaviors of people in the world and all of the negative things that potentially happen to teens in high school. However, through these stories and experiences I have heard of, I have also learned that it certainly is not my place to judge the hardships people may undergo.
In my junior year, my social life expanded into areas that I had never really explored before. Some of these areas were marked by athletic and smart types of people, and other parts by defiant and rebellious people. It was the rebellious side of this expansion that I had never encountered beforeā€”I have always strayed from partiers and those partaking in drinking and drugs. For one reason or another, however, I encountered several of my peers this year who fell to peer pressure and constantly insisted that drugs and alcohol were harmless. Being a sheltered girl who had seen high school parties only on television, I denied that people I befriended would ever have such rebellious behaviors. In other words, it became alarmingly clear to me how sheltered and naïve I actually was for my age. It was at this moment that I started to notice all of the conversations about parties this weekend and the next, all which I then assumed would have alcohol present. Thankfully, I caught myself before making any more assumptions or judgments against those attending those parties. I asked myself if maybe it was possible that no alcohol would be present, which I learned could definitely be possible. My peers who I learned had drunken alcohol, I learned, had extreme problems with their health and at home. Alcohol was a way for them to escape, and high school taught me that it was not my place to judge their behaviors. My peers who had been drinking alcohol and partaking in other rebellious activities have all committed to quitting since early in this school year. Although I am more than happy for them, I still have learned not to judge others by their behaviors or activities, but by their personalities.
High school can be a very confusing and mind-opening experience for all who attend it. However, it is imperative that one remembers that they should not form opinions of others based on their personal choices or activities, but how they treat others and how their personalities are.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy