I overcame being judgmental

alyssagormaly
Through my high school experience, I have learned and conquered many things through education by my social life, one of them being judgment. High school often comes off as the place where people mature, grow, and rebel. Until my junior year in high school, however, I never personally experienced much rebellion. It was through the people that I met my junior year that I learned about the behaviors of people in the world and all of the negative things that potentially happen to teens in high school. However, through these stories and experiences I have heard of, I have also learned that it certainly is not my place to judge the hardships people may undergo.
In my junior year, my social life expanded into areas that I had never really explored before. Some of these areas were marked by athletic and smart types of people, and other parts by defiant and rebellious people. It was the rebellious side of this expansion that I had never encountered beforeā€”I have always strayed from partiers and those partaking in drinking and drugs. For one reason or another, however, I encountered several of my peers this year who fell to peer pressure and constantly insisted that drugs and alcohol were harmless. Being a sheltered girl who had seen high school parties only on television, I denied that people I befriended would ever have such rebellious behaviors. In other words, it became alarmingly clear to me how sheltered and naïve I actually was for my age. It was at this moment that I started to notice all of the conversations about parties this weekend and the next, all which I then assumed would have alcohol present. Thankfully, I caught myself before making any more assumptions or judgments against those attending those parties. I asked myself if maybe it was possible that no alcohol would be present, which I learned could definitely be possible. My peers who I learned had drunken alcohol, I learned, had extreme problems with their health and at home. Alcohol was a way for them to escape, and high school taught me that it was not my place to judge their behaviors. My peers who had been drinking alcohol and partaking in other rebellious activities have all committed to quitting since early in this school year. Although I am more than happy for them, I still have learned not to judge others by their behaviors or activities, but by their personalities.
High school can be a very confusing and mind-opening experience for all who attend it. However, it is imperative that one remembers that they should not form opinions of others based on their personal choices or activities, but how they treat others and how their personalities are.