STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame Adversity

Tannerb
I overcame my hardship to run cross-country and track successfully with iron deficiency. This sickness occurs when your blood is deprived from iron and it makes you always tired and weak. I started to feel these effects after my first two races in my last cross-country season. I was training and pushing myself to the limits with workouts and running before and after school. Soon I started to fall asleep in class and perform poorly in my daily workouts. I thought I could just shake out of this slump and rise above this challenge easily but it proved to be a difficult task.
As the middle of cross-country season was on its way the effects of the low iron levels hit me like a brick wall. I was not beating my personal bests from sophomore year and started to mentally psych myself out. My coach was able to understand what I was going through and suggested I start to take training down to a lower level to rest some. However, this did not help at all and I was barley holding on to my varsity spot. On my drastic measures I stared to take iron pills everyday to strengthen my body. This slowly cured my illness by the end off the season. However, my mentality was still down the drain and every time I got to a certain point in the race I would get down on myself and start to slow down. This was certainly my lowest point of the season and I only wanted to give up, but I new my team was counting on me to give it my all.
My season turned around when my assistant coach confronted me and told me to not think so much during a race and only say an inspirational quote in your head to keep you going. I took this to the heart and remember a perfect quote from my all time hero, Steve Prefontaine. He once said, “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift”. These inspiring words pushed me through the most important races of my life. I ended up being an asset to my team in placing second place in one of the hardest leagues in the state, second in our division two county finals and ninth place in the California state meet. By not giving up and pushing through my hardships in the last cross-country it help my team and I conquer our goals.
I overcame adversity in cross-country from hard work, determination and help from coaches. This setback made me stronger for seasons to come because it taught me that I am not impervious but I am capable to overcome great obstacles with my resilience. Even though it was not one of my very successful seasons I will remember how I rose above the challenge and came out stronger.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy