I Overcame Adversity

Tannerb
I overcame my hardship to run cross-country and track successfully with iron deficiency. This sickness occurs when your blood is deprived from iron and it makes you always tired and weak. I started to feel these effects after my first two races in my last cross-country season. I was training and pushing myself to the limits with workouts and running before and after school. Soon I started to fall asleep in class and perform poorly in my daily workouts. I thought I could just shake out of this slump and rise above this challenge easily but it proved to be a difficult task.
As the middle of cross-country season was on its way the effects of the low iron levels hit me like a brick wall. I was not beating my personal bests from sophomore year and started to mentally psych myself out. My coach was able to understand what I was going through and suggested I start to take training down to a lower level to rest some. However, this did not help at all and I was barley holding on to my varsity spot. On my drastic measures I stared to take iron pills everyday to strengthen my body. This slowly cured my illness by the end off the season. However, my mentality was still down the drain and every time I got to a certain point in the race I would get down on myself and start to slow down. This was certainly my lowest point of the season and I only wanted to give up, but I new my team was counting on me to give it my all.
My season turned around when my assistant coach confronted me and told me to not think so much during a race and only say an inspirational quote in your head to keep you going. I took this to the heart and remember a perfect quote from my all time hero, Steve Prefontaine. He once said, “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift”. These inspiring words pushed me through the most important races of my life. I ended up being an asset to my team in placing second place in one of the hardest leagues in the state, second in our division two county finals and ninth place in the California state meet. By not giving up and pushing through my hardships in the last cross-country it help my team and I conquer our goals.
I overcame adversity in cross-country from hard work, determination and help from coaches. This setback made me stronger for seasons to come because it taught me that I am not impervious but I am capable to overcome great obstacles with my resilience. Even though it was not one of my very successful seasons I will remember how I rose above the challenge and came out stronger.