I overcame the absence of my father

justinemurray
People often say that the most influencing and significant people in one's life are their parents. This past year I lost the opportunity to be able to share my life with my father. He chose other various material items and relationships over me, and I had to accept that. My father decided that his little girl was not as important as he said she was, and that "little girl" moved on in her life and became a much stronger person because of it.
Ever since I was young my dad always showered me with love and praising gifts, but when he met his girlfriend, everything changed. I was twelve years old and struggling with emotional confusion due to the neglect of fatherly love. I tried to combat these feelings by brushing off the little things and trying not to experience pain. The situation just kept getting worse. As time passed, my father continued to not exemplify his love for me through actions and elucidated the fact that I was not important anymore. With the help of my loving mother, I stood up to my father.

My mom has always been a positive influence in my life. She is the parent I have always looked up to. She is such an honorable, strong, woman and has helped mold the person I am today. When my father started to show disinterest in me, my mother was always by my side. Whether it was giving me advice or just lending a shoulder to cry on. She taught me that people sometimes cannot be changed no matter how hard we try and she taught me how to be a stronger person and realize that my own personal feelings are what matters the most.

This past year I decided to truly change my life for my own health. I decided to move on, in a life without my father. At first it seemed arduous and almost impossible, but with the support of my mother I grew strong. Not only have I felt stronger as a person, but I have been more driven in all aspects of life. I used to have neutral feelings about school, but this past year I have wanted to prove to my father and myself that I am deserving of love and care. I also have strove to be the best I can be in dance. I pushed myself so hard his year, and it paid off, I recently was chosen to be a captain of our high school dance team for my senior year. Even though not having my father around is hard, I have benefited as a person from this hardship.

Adversity, the act of overcoming a challenge and becoming something better than before because of the lessons learned due to the struggle. I have flourished due to the adversity I was faced with this past year. I overcame the absence of my father, and in turn became a better person because of it.