I overcame stress from my parents

musicnlife94
Study, study, study—apparently that is all my life has come to. There are some days where I just want to sit down and bawl, but I don’t because I’m too busy to do that. It’s as if I have thrown my social life out the window. I’ve been taking test after test and at this point, I’m clueless as to why I am doing such a thing. Through all of this however, I have come to know myself better—I’m not perfect. If you’ve seen Asian parents or what they call “tiger mom”, my parents are similar. They may not be as harsh, but they do strive for perfection. I have always tried to study and achieve goals that my parents set for me. I have never achieved perfection, but always tried my best to work towards it. Because of all the stress and expectations, I have definitely done worse than I would have without it. They want me to be a doctor, and I do not have any complaints against that, but rather towards the message they have sent me all my life—the message of perfection. My dad always ranked first in his class back in his day and expects the same from me. I do try and have gotten there several times, but he can’t expect me to always be able to do that. For one thing, it takes me much longer to learn than other kids out there. At this point in time, I have come to know that I work better when I sit down and study out of my own will rather than when I’m forced to. Whenever I am forced to study, I simply start day dreaming or get distracted by pretty much anything and everything around me. I have learned to take control. Yes, I do want to succeed in life but if there is one thing we all ought to know, it’s that nobody’s perfect. Even the smartest of people do silly things; for example the famous story of Isaac Newton and his cat flap. When my parents tell me to go study, I do so but at my own pace. I try my best to create an interest in the subject to create a “want” to study and move from there. This has really helped me in improving grades throughout the year because I am able to focus on what I’m studying as well as learn rather than memorize. This year, I finally learned to overcome stress from my parents.