I Overcame the Second Letter of the Alphabet

rani12
I have always been smart. It is just something that has always come naturally to me. I guess I am sort of a genius in my own mind. So when I singed up for AP Physics B I thought it would be that same as any other class: do the homework, give a minimal amount of effort in class, not really study for the tests, and in the end come out of the whole experience with an A. Boy, was I wrong.
In retrospect, the beginning few weeks should have been an indication of how much I did not understand physics. The first couple of quizzes I got passing grades, mostly on luck though, because I really didn’t study or prepare in any way. Then I got a D on the first test. And yet I still didn’t do much of the work.
That is about the time that I got sick. It happened two months into the school year and I was out for a full week straight. Usually when I am sick, I take it as a chance to catch up on some work such as, I don’t know, physics reading that I was behind on. The problem this time though was that I was so debilitatingly ill that I was unable to do anything but lie there. So, even with hours upon hours of free time, the wonders of physics continued to elude me.
When I was finally able to return to school, things didn’t get any better. For one thing, I was still not feeling completely better, and for another, Physics was not my only class: I had to juggle three other AP classes as well. Quite frankly, Physics was my lowest priority on the list. Long story short, I focused my energy on my other classes and essentially gave up on Physics. The result of my “efforts”: a solid B in the class.
Getting my first B was an interesting experience. I had, up to this point, taken 48 classes in my career as a student and had received a grand total of 48 As. I knew that this one B would be an undying blemish on my education that would follow me for the rest of my days. However, I also knew that in a matter of days the new trimester would start, allowing me a fresh slate on which to prove myself worthy. Though I didn’t have much hope as far as my grade went, I vowed to at least apply myself more. It paid off in the end when I aced the last few tests in the class, did well on the final, and received my first A in Physics.
Physics B was a pain; getting a B was hard on my self-esteem at first. But by putting in a little more work than I was used to I managed to get possibly the most rewarding A in my life. I overcame my first B.