STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame Myself

Whatshisname
This year marked the first year I was able to suppress and overcome my crux, unknowingly at first, with the help of a story by the most unlikely of heroes; Bryan Warner. (Known more widely under the alias of Marilyn Manson). The account of his life taught me some of the most valuable principles that a teenager in high school should know. He helped me to overcome the convulsing, choking monster of myself, and allow the new me to resurface underneath layers of counterfeit personalities
First, before we discuss him, you should probably know a little about me. I’m a junior in high school facing the challenges of being absolutely horrendous at confidence, taking initiative, and passing algebra. I hate sitting still, being judged, and being suppressed from my passion.
However, no one knew this as I remained in a hollow shell, laughing and smiling and joking in order to fit in. I didn’t want to be judged, so I would keep my mouth shut about myself. I was scared of the thoughts of others, and I worked hard to keep myself isolated from their opinions. It was an awful life that lacked any energy, and I knew it had to end.
It was then I came to the conclusion that I needed to study other’s reactions to judgment, so I went to my local oasis, the library. After all, if there’s one man who’s taken more flak than anyone, it’s the antichrist superstar Marilyn Manson. I checked out his biography, rushed home, sneaking the book past my morally unyielding mother, and began to flick through pages faster than a sprinter running down a track. The more I read, the more I was in awe. Bryan had gone from being a nobody to one of the most controversial musicians in the world, and he had self-confidence issues? He and I had a similarity? Impossible.
Then, in the blink of an eye, I came to grasp an idea. He and I were only half alike, there was only one difference. He was no longer afraid. I snatched up a pencil and began fervently covering a notepad with word after word till a story began. I was metamorphosing into what I wanted to be; a writer. How had I been so blind earlier? Of course there would be those who would try to put my character down, but I couldn’t let them. I had to prove to be stronger than them in order to achieve my dream.
It was finished. I had won. The true me was born, and I owe it all the odd man out. The underdog. From now on, I embrace who I am and will never stop living my life the way I believe it is meant to be lived.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy