STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame Self Doubt

mystri99
“Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” - A Cinderella Story

This school year, I tried out for my school’s volleyball team. As a freshman, I didn’t expect anything and just tried my best, hoping it would get me somewhere. It did. I made it into the school’s Varsity volleyball team and while I was surprised, I was also proud and savored the moment. I had been on cloud nine, but I finally realized the commitment and drive I’d need during the first week of training.

Drills were tough, weekly fitness sessions excruciating, and my body ached at the end of each day. I knew I would have to train hard to assert myself on the team, but I wasn’t sure I could. What’s worse, I was surrounded only by upperclassmen. The mere fact made me feel inferior and intimidated, and I started to dread going to training. I was benched the first few matches we played, and my disappointment grew each time. My teammates were nice to me, but because I’m naturally shy, I put up a wall and would awkwardly sit alone during bus rides. I just felt like I wasn’t worthy and didn’t belong. I doubted my abilities, I doubted my love for the sport, and I doubted myself.

The truth is, I was afraid. I was afraid I wasn’t good enough. Even though I’d made the team, I started thinking that the coaches had made the wrong decision choosing me. I played without confidence for fear of messing up or causing my team to lose a point, and spoke rarely for fear of saying the wrong things. One day during training, my coach told me that she noticed I was very timid on the court. I remember her telling me to want to play and to do so confidently. She told me to focus on the next point and to forget the mistakes I make; to be willing to take risks and to sacrifice for the team; but most importantly, to know that I was never alone. Because volleyball is a team sport, communication and trust is necessary. I never forgot her words and used them to motivate myself.

My walls broke down that day, and I made incredible friends as our team grew closer together. Right before our last match our team captain said to us, “I believe in you, our coaches believe in you, your teammates believe in you, and all you need is to believe in yourselves.” At that point I realized that through this opportunity I was able to learn from others, gain experiences, and forge friendships. My coaches chose me for a reason, and I knew my teammates would be behind me every step of the way. I wasn’t worried about disappointing others anymore, nor was I worried about disappointing myself. Needless to say, I took our captain’s advice and I played those last few matches with confidence, with determination, with heart.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy