STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame emotional pain by acceptance

marindaxlove
I still remember that day my estranged father moved closer to me. I remember that day as much as I remember the day when he left again. The only thing worse than distance, is actually being close where emotional attachments develop and make it harder for one to let go. How could I accept the fact that nothing lasts forever, and that people have the ability to desert you at anytime? It is because I thought that this time would be different because it was the longest he had stayed. However, my thinking was wishful and lacked reality.
My grubby hands lifted the discolored telephone that hung from the wall. My dad on the other end was in a rather happy mood. It was the first time he had called in weeks. He notified me that he had finally received a new job, and it was in fact, in San Diego, where I live. Although he mentioned that it was only a one year contract, and there was no guarantee that he could stay possibly forever, I was happy. Maybe a bit too happy, which made me unprepared for the trouble and crisis that was down the road. Furthermore, my father soon became a more prominent figure in my life. Picking me up from school, eating dinner together, and watching movies became a weekly basis. This routine happened for long time. At first I was excited, but my excitement, died down to a simple satisfaction. Our relationships remained monotone and consistent usually. We took each other for granted.
As seasons pass, his work became dry. The one year contract expired and he was getting lazier in his work, as there was nothing more for him to do. Despite his financial and personal struggles, I ridiculed him for not trying harder. In this process, I became hypocritical. I was no different; I procrastinated on my homework like he, who was lazy with his work. The day soon came, and he got up and left. With no more to do, meaning no pay, my father could not possibly make money in San Diego’s jobless society. Sure I understood that my father had to leave, but I couldn’t accept it.
The first Friday after cross country season ended was when I found out. Tears made their way down my cheek while my eyes puffed up as I tried to hide my face and avoid him from seeing my hurt. I had wasted time. We had wasted time. I did not seize every moment I could to be with my father and strengthen my relationship with him.
Although I was tainted in regret, I am not anymore. My father’s frequent absence in my life has taught me independence and self-reliance. In order for one to move on and seize life to the fullest, one must go through acceptance of horrible situations and just make the best out of them.

Rate this:
Comment by Mele Writer

Very good. I loved it!
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:01:41 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy