I overcame emotional pain by acceptance

marindaxlove
I still remember that day my estranged father moved closer to me. I remember that day as much as I remember the day when he left again. The only thing worse than distance, is actually being close where emotional attachments develop and make it harder for one to let go. How could I accept the fact that nothing lasts forever, and that people have the ability to desert you at anytime? It is because I thought that this time would be different because it was the longest he had stayed. However, my thinking was wishful and lacked reality.
My grubby hands lifted the discolored telephone that hung from the wall. My dad on the other end was in a rather happy mood. It was the first time he had called in weeks. He notified me that he had finally received a new job, and it was in fact, in San Diego, where I live. Although he mentioned that it was only a one year contract, and there was no guarantee that he could stay possibly forever, I was happy. Maybe a bit too happy, which made me unprepared for the trouble and crisis that was down the road. Furthermore, my father soon became a more prominent figure in my life. Picking me up from school, eating dinner together, and watching movies became a weekly basis. This routine happened for long time. At first I was excited, but my excitement, died down to a simple satisfaction. Our relationships remained monotone and consistent usually. We took each other for granted.
As seasons pass, his work became dry. The one year contract expired and he was getting lazier in his work, as there was nothing more for him to do. Despite his financial and personal struggles, I ridiculed him for not trying harder. In this process, I became hypocritical. I was no different; I procrastinated on my homework like he, who was lazy with his work. The day soon came, and he got up and left. With no more to do, meaning no pay, my father could not possibly make money in San Diego’s jobless society. Sure I understood that my father had to leave, but I couldn’t accept it.
The first Friday after cross country season ended was when I found out. Tears made their way down my cheek while my eyes puffed up as I tried to hide my face and avoid him from seeing my hurt. I had wasted time. We had wasted time. I did not seize every moment I could to be with my father and strengthen my relationship with him.
Although I was tainted in regret, I am not anymore. My father’s frequent absence in my life has taught me independence and self-reliance. In order for one to move on and seize life to the fullest, one must go through acceptance of horrible situations and just make the best out of them.

Comment by Mele Writer

Very good. I loved it!
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:01:41 PM