I Overcame My Self-Doubt

kellyo12
As I walked into class on the first day of school, a million thoughts of doubt went flying through my mind. Would I do well in all of my classes this year? Would I be overwhelmed with my busy schedule? Would my classmates accept me? For the first few months of school this was my usual thought process. I would go to school doubting my ability to be sucessful, I would go home and struggle with my homework, and I would go to bed at night frantically thinking about what would happen the next day. I attempted to reassure myself any way that I could, but there was always a voice in the back of my head telling myself that I was wrong or that I could not do it. My self-doubt had such an overwhelming presence in my life that it consumed my thoughts and my daily actions.
But as the year went on and I began to recognize how well I was doing with my schoolwork. However, I still had that voice in my head beating me down. Even though I had confidence in the school work I was doing, my extracurricular activities still suffered from my lack of confidence. It did not help that the people that I was surrounded by made my self0assurence even lower than it had been before. No matter how hard I tried to avoid it my self-doubt still loomed around every corner.
As the new calendar year begun my confidence began to grow stronger and stronger with every day. It started when lacrosse season started. Lacrosse was something that I was good at, something that I was passionate about and something that I could take pride in. The people on the team and the new people I begun to hang out with were people who appreciated me and helped me to better myself. As I became more successful in my lacrosse career, my total self-worth began to increase as well. Another thing that helped me to reduce my self-doubt was my new found ability to calm my self down. I no longer had to stay up late at night and worry about all of my problems but I was able to use something to help me relax; my writing. I took the time whenever I had any hesitations to write down what I was thinking. This allowed me to stop bottling up all of my problems and just move past them. Through the combination of lacrosse and writing I was able to not only reduce the doubt and frustration that I had but also deal with that that was left behind.
My junior year of high school begun full of questions, hesitation and the people that weakened my confidence. I was able to find a passion in writing and lacrosse that allowed me to overcome my own self-doubt with my weaknesses. I was now capable of moving my focus from my insecurities and my struggles to my abilities.