STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame myself

cocothndr94
This year was, in laymen’s terms a hassle. Not in the means of school work, or human resources, but in the having to deal with myself. Constantly, throughout the year I beat myself into a bloody mass of emotional turmoil, leaving only a responsive husk of a being. I often hear a little voice in my head telling me I am not enough or that wasn’t a smart move. This is not my conscience, my conscience often plays part in other activities that I find myself torn in completing, no this is another voice an anti-me voice that clouds my head with streams of failure and the inability to finish anything. But, I would soon defeat it.
It all happened when we were enlightened to the fact that our junior speech was speedily coming up. The little voice inside of my head laughed saying “You’ll fail this one.” I didn’t know what to do, I was starting to shut down and lose confidence in myself. As we began to pick the dates of our speech, a thought ran through my mind, why not just go first and get the whole blasted thing over with. Taking this thought for a wild ride I signed up to go on the first day, which was only a week away. The voice laughed, mocking my zeal. Almost instantaneously after that I had but four days left until my speech. I had just begun and had no idea where I would go with my speech.
The days but, danced by as the ideas failed to trickle into written words for me to rehearse. The voice returned laughing at my inability to think, beating down my self-confidence. I had barely any steam left in me when it struck. The epiphany of a lifetime, the words came galloping into my head like Odin’s great steed Sleipnir, bounding onto paper with its eight mighty legs. The voice was still there however laughing happily at my new found inspiration, “You may have something to write about, but will you be able to say it in front of the class?” He was right, but that did not hinder my writing, I would prove him wrong, I would conquer the speech.
The day had finally arrived and it was but moments away from my turn to speak. The voice returned for a final time, as I stood to speak. “Are you ready to fail?” but I had-had enough, and with a swift thought I replied “Just because you think something doesn’t mean that it is right.” With those words I began to speak. The words flowing from my mouth as, if I were the great Homer telling one of his epics. Once I finished, and class had ended, I asked my teacher how I had done… an A, YES, I won I proved him wrong and conquered my own doubt. The voice has yet to return to challenge the new much more self-confident me. Therefore this is how I overcame myself.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy