I Overcame an Identity Crisis

KayleeReed
We all want to be liked. Whether we show it or not, deep... Deep down we all are dying to be noticed. We go to school every day with a fake smile pinned to our cheeks and clothes that we hope everyone likes, we gossip and hope were not being gossiped about, we try to fit in, and in the end were always trying to get away with someone were not. Walking into high school I had the confidence of the class nerd. I wanted to be liked, and I wanted lots of friends. That was my goal freshmen year. I tried as hard as I could to look good, and make other people happy, and make sure I was what everyone wanted me to be. In the end, I had friends, sure. But were they good friends I could see myself with, in a month? No. They were the “time-being” type, ones your best friends with one day and then the next you’re just acquaintances in the hall way. Not until I really overcame stepping out of my fake act did I notice that we all have the potential to have close friends, as long as we take that step out and become OURSELVES, not what others want us to be. Now that the end of freshmen year is coming to an end I can finally smile and be like, “Oh Washington how I love you.” I love the idea that all my friends are my friends because of the real me, instead of who I strived to be all of middle school. I am so much happier. I can be the weird insane, curious girl I wish to be instead of the one that is trying to cram my body in Hollister clothes, wear lip gloss, gossip, and talk to boys who won’t like me back. Now I do have guy friends that don’t just title me as “one of them” now I’m referred to as “hilariously weird” odd? I know. But hey when I had my old friends they were usually saying things like “Oh my gosh did you hear….!??!?!?!?” or “want me to pick out your outfit?” Excuse me but am I not capable of picking out a fashionable outfit? Now my friends say things like “Kaylee I love you, you’re so weird.” I LOVE IT! I can finally be myself, the girl that wants to have friends that like her for who she is instead of whom they want her to be. I don’t have to pull a fake act for anyone anymore. I can be me, and that is perfectly fine with me.