STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame the stress of junior year.

marina
School has always been a source of stress in my life. I care a lot about my education but with college and my future beyond high school quickly approaching, the importance of school is intensified. I have many intelligent friends and I feel a lot of pressure to try to keep up with them academically. While their success in school encourages me to do my best, it is hard not to compare myself to them. Teachers and fellow students are always stressing the amount that needs to be done to get into college. I am constantly told that I need the perfect GPA, a high SAT score, officer positions in a club, an internship, a sport, or community service hours. People always imply that without these things, I will never be successful after high school. Obviously, I know this is an exaggeration, but it is still easy to get caught up in the college hysteria. There is so much pressure to be the perfect student.
Junior year is hard for everyone, and for me this has been my most difficult year yet. I was not really sure what I was getting myself into last year when I signed up for three Advanced Placement classes. I never thought it would be a light workload, but I didn’t expect there to be as much homework or as many quizzes and tests. For the first two months of the year I was getting the worst grades I had ever had in my life. This year I also played varsity field hockey, was vice president of my school’s Jewish club, took the SAT and subject tests, had my Bat Mitzvah, and learned how to drive.
At one point though, I realized that all the stress was entirely self-inflicted. I chose to take challenging classes. I chose to play a varsity sport. I chose to be involved in extra curricular activities. Everything that caused me stress was something that I had chosen to do. I felt like I had taken on more than I could handle and I was angry with myself for thinking I could do it all.
Eventually my junior year did start improving. I learned how to balance my schedule better in order to be on top of everything. My grades went up again. I went from benchwarmer to regular starter in field hockey. I passed my driving test. Though something felt stressful at one point, in hindsight it seems like no big deal. Issues from the a few months ago just seem petty now. I have learned that I can make it through stressful times and accomplish what I want to. I am over the college hysteria and now I just focus on being as successful as I can be. I try not to compare myself to my friends or classmates. I acknowledge when something is just impossible to get done and don’t let it bother me. I try to focus on what I can do rather than what I can’t.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy