STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame the Fear of a Choir Teacher

emeecamee
As my mom says, “Feelings aren’t facts,” but it can feel like they are. When you give a presentation, sing a solo, or dance alone in front of someone, the feelings of judgment and nervousness seem real, alive, and factual. Although they often aren’t, I had convinced myself in the seventh grade that my choir teacher was judging me constantly when I sang a solo, answered a question, or sang in a small group. Without saying anything, he made me feel like I was never worth listening to, and I began to hate that feeling and fear the man who brought it to the surface. Although he had never really known who I was, or said anything hurtful specifically to me, I felt that he was determined to see the worst in me.

I love to sing, in musicals especially, act, and try to improve through my experiences. As a result, I have tried out for each annual musical at my school and my city’s youth production each year. Although both the school and city’s musicals were similar, there was a difference – at school I was being put in the chorus, yet in the youth production I was given main roles. I was upset with just this choir teacher (although there were other teachers helping to pick parts) because of my small role. I felt that in the more professional youth production, I was being placed on top, while in a more amateur setting, I was being placed below. The choir teacher’s philosophy that non-ninth graders could not be in the spotlight fueled my burning hate for this teacher even more as I was disregarded.

Interestingly enough, even though I was so mad at this director, I didn't do anything about it. Instead, I became scared of his judgment. I was scared to perform in front of him because I thought he would judge me unfairly and never give me another chance, thus ruining my odds of ever performing at school.

This year, finally in the ninth grade, I practiced for the upcoming musical try-outs. I perfected my best audition song. I came to auditions nervous, but with friends who helped me. I sang my heart out and made call backs for the main parts. In the end, I was given the lead role in the musical. Surprised and uncontrollably happy, I gave the musical my all; it became the highlight of my year. It was finally known that I could sing and act and that I loved it.

I became a teacher’s pet, which was unpredictable; my choir teacher picks his favorites in seventh grade and they don’t change. But somehow the rules were bent for me. Currently, his aggravating voice comes through praise of me in front of our class, where many of which feel the way I did. I try to build my peers up, so that they will have confidence. I’ve found that compliments helped my self-esteem and I hope it will help them as well. Now that I’ve overcame my fear of my choir teacher, I have greater confidence not only to know that I am good at what I do, but to tell others of when they excel.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy