I overcame my mental barrier.

amanda18
Okay, so last swim season wasn’t so great. I’ll be the first to admit that. After every race, I would turn my head toward the scoreboard only to see the same disappointing time again and again -- one minute and four measly seconds. It seemed that no matter how hard I trained, I was bound to get that exact time. I was stuck in a rut to say the least. This year however, I was determined to change that. Every single stroke I swam and every breath I took was done with my final race in mind. I set out to find that missing puzzle piece that would help me beat my time.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and you will reach the first swim meet of the season. As I methodically paced out my warm-up laps, I felt a sense of eager anticipation. “Finally,” I thought, “a chance to show the world what I’ve got!” It seemed as if I couldn’t clamber up the starting block fast enough.

The speaker blared, “Swimmers, take your marks.”

I was ready.

“Get set…”

This was my time to shine!

“Go!”

I exploded off the block, diving into the water. Beating out those first strokes, I knew what I was. I was a lean, mean swimming machine, and those other swimmers better watch out! Glancing from left to right, (even though I wasn’t supposed to. Sorry coach!) I saw myself fly past the competition. Every stroke, every flip-turn, every breath was a fight -- but it was all worth it if it meant beating my previous time.

However, as I neared the midway point, I began to see the other swimmers pull ahead of me. When I finally realized that I was dead last, I remembered what had stopped me all last season.

“You can’t do this. You’re not good enough. Ha! You’ll never be fast enough!” the little voice in my head taunted. And with that, I lost my will to fight. Why try? I knew that all I would see was the same disappointing time.

As I neared the last wall, I heard a faint noise. Feebly looking up as I flipped into the final stretch, I saw an amazing sight. It was a sea of red and gold -- my entire team out there to cheer me on. Finally, I knew what I had to do. Pummeling out the last twenty-five yards of my race, I no longer swam for myself, but for my team. I realized that I couldn’t let them down.

Swimming with a fury, I blazed into my finish. So out of breath I could hardly hang on the wall, I looked up at the clock. One minute flat. That’s one minute with two zeros behind it. As I glanced over at my teammates, all I could was a team madly cheering on my victory. For my win was their win, my loss their loss.

I had found the missing puzzle piece.