I Overcame June 13th

pmagallanes
On June 13th I am expected to walk across a wooden podium with hundreds of people watching me from the faded football bleachers. I am expected to shake the principal’s hand and thank him for the official diploma he will hand me. I am expected to smile or cry or laugh or maybe even do a victory dance on stage because I have to do something up there. On June 13th my life is supposed to change forever and "take a huge step towards success." But on June 12th my brain will probably be completely exhausted and I will not have energies to even wiggle my toes. On June 12th I will have said to myself “It’s ok to be tired”, but a small university in Southern California thinks quite opposite and they want me to use those tired little legs to win a track championship next year. As a matter a fact, they traded my legs for tuition, and on June 13th I will be handed over to another exhausting four years of hard labor. Then onto another four years or until four years will cease to exist, and somehow I will become a doctor in God-knows-what. On June 12th I would just like to be left alone with my teenage thoughts and my tired little body, I would like all the heavy text books to leave me be and for all the essays to stop crumbling at my ears. I would appreciate if the pencils would stop writing, and if for once the pens would run out of ink. On June 12th I would like for my mom to knock on my door with a cup of hot chocolate instead of green tea. I would like to watch all the Saturday Night Live reruns I want, and I would appreciate it if my dad would just let me just fall asleep on my bed without having to tell me because “It’s going to be a crazy school day tomorrow.” Daddy’s little girl will be receiving her last and final grade, with an anticipated note on it: passed, empty your locker and transfer your things to your dorm. I don’t have a speech prepared simply because I decided not to enter the speech contest, but when I get home I promised my parents I would read what would have been the perfect graduation speech. They will probably open their mouths in awe as their perfect little A-student baby girl reads off a fancy manila paper and dad will simply bow his head and give it that little disappointment nod. But I don’t care because it’s June 12th and tomorrow, my last day of high school. On June 13th I will walk across a podium and probably forget all about the victory dance, my mother will cry and my father will take it like a man, but somewhere in all the commotion a little girl will have left her little high school soul behind for someone else to carry on.