STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame June 13th

pmagallanes
On June 13th I am expected to walk across a wooden podium with hundreds of people watching me from the faded football bleachers. I am expected to shake the principal’s hand and thank him for the official diploma he will hand me. I am expected to smile or cry or laugh or maybe even do a victory dance on stage because I have to do something up there. On June 13th my life is supposed to change forever and "take a huge step towards success." But on June 12th my brain will probably be completely exhausted and I will not have energies to even wiggle my toes. On June 12th I will have said to myself “It’s ok to be tired”, but a small university in Southern California thinks quite opposite and they want me to use those tired little legs to win a track championship next year. As a matter a fact, they traded my legs for tuition, and on June 13th I will be handed over to another exhausting four years of hard labor. Then onto another four years or until four years will cease to exist, and somehow I will become a doctor in God-knows-what. On June 12th I would just like to be left alone with my teenage thoughts and my tired little body, I would like all the heavy text books to leave me be and for all the essays to stop crumbling at my ears. I would appreciate if the pencils would stop writing, and if for once the pens would run out of ink. On June 12th I would like for my mom to knock on my door with a cup of hot chocolate instead of green tea. I would like to watch all the Saturday Night Live reruns I want, and I would appreciate it if my dad would just let me just fall asleep on my bed without having to tell me because “It’s going to be a crazy school day tomorrow.” Daddy’s little girl will be receiving her last and final grade, with an anticipated note on it: passed, empty your locker and transfer your things to your dorm. I don’t have a speech prepared simply because I decided not to enter the speech contest, but when I get home I promised my parents I would read what would have been the perfect graduation speech. They will probably open their mouths in awe as their perfect little A-student baby girl reads off a fancy manila paper and dad will simply bow his head and give it that little disappointment nod. But I don’t care because it’s June 12th and tomorrow, my last day of high school. On June 13th I will walk across a podium and probably forget all about the victory dance, my mother will cry and my father will take it like a man, but somewhere in all the commotion a little girl will have left her little high school soul behind for someone else to carry on.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy